DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Prospect HD - Mac (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/109562-prospect-hd-mac.html)

Todd Clark December 5th, 2007 09:59 AM

Prospect HD - Mac

Does Prospect HD for the Mac offer everything Prospect HD for the PC has?

David Newman December 5th, 2007 10:26 AM

Prospect HD is a Windows product for Premiere Pro, however it does include a license to the Mac version of the CineForm codec. We will be porting more to the Mac over time.

Todd Clark December 5th, 2007 10:55 AM

Thanks for you qiuck response but...

My company is going to buy prospect HD for the mac which is 1000.

What do you get for that? Does that include performance gains in Premeire Pro for the Mac? What is included? I checked your website and it appeared to have everything the windows version had. It said mac is supported under your CineForm Product Selector Guide.

Thank you.

David Newman December 5th, 2007 01:19 PM

On the Mac it is the codec only. Prospect HD is a Windows tool, with a Mac libcense for the compression only. It does say that on the web site, but understand how this can be confusing.

Todd Clark December 5th, 2007 01:41 PM

What do you recomend we buy for the mac?

David Taylor December 5th, 2007 01:45 PM

Todd, Neo HD is the proper product for Mac. It also comes with two licenses - one for Windows and one for Mac. The Mac license is our Mac codec (only) and the Windows license includes all of our useful conversion utilities for telecine removal, deinterlacing, spatial resampling, image flip, speed change, etc. It will also capture through HD-SDI and Firewire.

Currently the Windows portion only runs on Windows, so we're giving two licenses - one Mac and one Windows. At some point most of this will be ported to the Mac which will eliminate the need for the Windows license with the Mac product. I hope the logic there makes sense.

You can run the Windows portion for ingest (HD-SDI / FW) under Bootcamp, and the conversion utilities under either Bootcamp or Parallels.

Todd Clark December 5th, 2007 02:15 PM

Thanks for the quick reply David.

I was wondering...is it possible to capture and use all the utilities on a windows machine and use those converted files on a mac if we used ".mov" option in the conversion to make them quicktime?

David Taylor December 5th, 2007 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Clark (Post 787784)
Thanks for the quick reply David.

I was wondering...is it possible to capture and use all the utilities on a windows machine and use those converted files on a mac if we used ".mov" option in the conversion to make them quicktime?

Yes absolutely. The Windows installer can run on a separate Windows box or else on your Mac using Bootcamp/Parallels.

Dave Morgan December 5th, 2007 10:14 PM

any chance of having Prospect HD work on premiere cs3 on a mac, so i can edit 1920/1080 at 24p

like in the future?

actually i dont even care about realtime. so even neo would be cool.

ive been using windows for 17 years, i wanna switch to mac lol

David Taylor December 5th, 2007 11:44 PM

We have 10s of man-years invested in our PC workflow, and so-far we have 1s of man-years invested on the Mac workflow. You can in fact do an online 1080p24 workflow in CS3 on Mac, although the performance isn't yet up to our PC standards. But we'll get there. In the mean time, file transfers between the platforms are seamless and is very helpful for those with cross-platform needs.

Richard Leadbetter December 6th, 2007 04:25 PM

Out of interest, does HDLink work at all within a virtual machine such as VMWare Fusion or Parallels when run as a standalone program?

David Taylor December 6th, 2007 04:42 PM

HDLink works great inside Parallels for all file-based conversion features, but not for capture. Unfortunately Parallels does not support Firewire interfaces, although they tell me they intend to add that by middle of next year. We have not tried VMWare, but I suspect it should work fine.

Dave Morgan December 6th, 2007 06:24 PM

hey david what do you mean by online workflow?

"You can in fact do an online 1080p24 workflow in CS3 on Mac"

hope this isnt a silly question lol.

Carl Middleton December 6th, 2007 06:28 PM

online, in this case, basically means full quality.

"offline" editing is to capture low resolution copies of the source footage, edit, then later go back in and recapture full quality.

"online" editing is to capture full quality from the beginning, edit, and output.

C