CHFD to WMV playable on XBOX 360??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old December 9th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

CHFD to WMV playable on XBOX 360???

Hi

Can anyone tell me the workflow to enable me to render off from my Premier Pro 2 Aspect HDV timeline so that the files play on a dual layer DVD-R in my xbox 360?

I have tried CHFD files but they dont work - any suggestions??

Thanks
Steve Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #2
Trustee

Um ... you can export wmv files by going File>Export>Adobe Media Encoder

Does that help, or were you needing detailed settings for the wmv?
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 03:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Um ... you can export wmv files by going File>Export>Adobe Media Encoder

Does that help, or were you needing detailed settings for the wmv?

Im pretty sure that by doing that you dont retain ANY of the HDV at all......the whole point of getting the file convert to play on the 360 is so that you can view HD content without having to author/burn to Blue Ray/HD-DVD
Old December 10th, 2007, 06:13 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Basically I need to get from the Premier Pro 2 Aspect HD timeline a true Wmv-HD file that I can then burn to data disc and play through the xbox 360 preserving the HD content
Old December 10th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #5
Trustee

I use Procoder rather than AME, and it provides presets for outputting either 1080i or 720p HD WMV.

I'm 99% sure AME can too.

Edit: OK I just checked on a PPro2 machine - when I select WMV output in AME a whole bunch of 720p and 1080 HD-WMV presets show up ...
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hickling View Post
I use Procoder rather than AME, and it provides presets for outputting either 1080i or 720p HD WMV.

I'm 99% sure AME can too.

Edit: OK I just checked on a PPro2 machine - when I select WMV output in AME a whole bunch of 720p and 1080 HD-WMV presets show up ...
Great ill give it a try and report back!
Old December 10th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I just create HD WMVs straight from Premiere using Adobe Media Encoder. Playback of 1080 video can get choppy on the 360 if you don't have a bitrate limit and have lots of motion in your video, but 720p videos seem to playback flawlessly regardless.

By the way, the new XBox 360 update + Tversity, Zune player, or Media Center makes streaming from your PC a breeze, so you don't even have to burn a disk!

I haven't tried it yet, but if your PC is strong enough, Tversity may even be able to do a real-time transcode from CineForm AVI to an XBox 360 supported format. My guess is most machines won't be able to, but it's a nice thought.
Old December 11th, 2007, 03:43 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bucklin View Post
I just create HD WMVs straight from Premiere using Adobe Media Encoder. Playback of 1080 video can get choppy on the 360 if you don't have a bitrate limit and have lots of motion in your video, but 720p videos seem to playback flawlessly regardless.

By the way, the new XBox 360 update + Tversity, Zune player, or Media Center makes streaming from your PC a breeze, so you don't even have to burn a disk!

I haven't tried it yet, but if your PC is strong enough, Tversity may even be able to do a real-time transcode from CineForm AVI to an XBox 360 supported format. My guess is most machines won't be able to, but it's a nice thought.
Hi Tim,

What preset do you use that has given you the best playback so far and the settings? There seems to be plenty of options but I couldnt see a specific 702p only 1080 - and one that I chose is still encoding 17hours later for a 20min CFHD!!
Old December 12th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Young View Post
Hi Tim,

What preset do you use that has given you the best playback so far and the settings? There seems to be plenty of options but I couldnt see a specific 702p only 1080 - and one that I chose is still encoding 17hours later for a 20min CFHD!!
While I generally get lazy and use the Adobe Presets, you may have better luck with the stand-alone WMV encoder -- it's free from MS's website.

You've got more presets (defaults to 720p) there, and also more control over your settings. Export a CineForm AVI from your finished project (which you likely do anyhow), then select that as your source file in the Windows Media Encoder. Transcodes are quicker; maybe 10:1 instead of the 50:1 that you're reporting! If you select a single-pass encode, it goes by even quicker. If you do the scaling when you export your CineForm AVI from Premiere, you'll save WMV transcoding time, too.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase