DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   HDLink clip numbering (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/109844-hdlink-clip-numbering.html)

Alan Mills December 9th, 2007 12:31 PM

HDLink clip numbering

Maybe it's just me but when I capture with scene detection using HDLink (from AspectHD) and I have base capture name of, say, XXXX, I get files as follows:
XXX.avi, XXX-001.avi, XXX-002.avi etc

I then tend to renumber them 1-3.

Any chance the file naming could start at XXX-001.avi instead of XXX.avi so that all file names follow the numbering pattern?

Or have I simply missed an option?

Alan

Christopher Glaeser December 9th, 2007 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Mills (Post 789732)
Any chance the file naming could start at XXX-001.avi instead of XXX.avi so that all file names follow the numbering pattern?

I've been requesting this feature for many months, and have submitted a feature request to tech support. In theory, Cineform is working on an enhancement, but apparently it never makes it high enough on the priority list to get released.

A related feature I want is the ability to start the sequence at a number other than 001, so that multiple captures can be easily sequenced without tedious renumbering.

Best,
Christopher

Alan Mills December 10th, 2007 07:11 AM

Yes. I too can see the benefit of capturing at a number other than one. Would be very handy.

"Make it so, Number One!"

Christopher Glaeser December 10th, 2007 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Mills (Post 790052)
Yes. I too can see the benefit of capturing at a number other than one. Would be very handy.

You should open a ticket with tech support. They will close the ticket and tell you they have added the suggestion as a feature request. Not sure if it will help, but a reminder every six months or so may eventually make it happen.

Best,
Christopher

Tim Bucklin December 10th, 2007 05:52 PM

Hello All,
As a result of your requests, I've implemented a new feature for the next release.

Now, you will be able to tell HD Link (in the preferences window, along side the "split scenes" check box) what number you want your clips to start with when you have scene split selected. With scene split unchecked, your base capture file name will be unaltered.

With scene split checked, your first clip will contain your specified starting clip number. For instance, if you've told HD Link to start at "12", your first clip will be named "ClipName-012.avi", followed by "ClipName-013.avi", etc. instead of "ClipName.avi" followed by "ClipName-001.avi", etc.

I hope this is helpful for you all and other users. Feedback is appreciated!

James Huenergardt December 10th, 2007 06:11 PM

Another request would be to have it save the AVI files into a specific folder. Maybe it can do this, but I haven't figured out how.

Tim Bucklin December 10th, 2007 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Huenergardt (Post 790361)
Another request would be to have it save the AVI files into a specific folder. Maybe it can do this, but I haven't figured out how.

It already does that. It's the "Capture Location" text field towards the top of the Preferences window. If you're converting from M2T in a second step, just check the box below it that says "Use capture location for converted files".

Christopher Glaeser December 10th, 2007 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bucklin (Post 790347)

Thanks! This will save me time.

Best,
Christopher

Matti Remonen December 11th, 2007 02:37 AM

Now, when we are still on the subject of naming the clips I would like to make very humble request for another naming scheme: clips named according the timecode in the tape. In order to achieve the functionality today, I need first to use the HDVSplit to split and name the clips. After that I run the clips through HD Link and make the conversion.

What I'm after is to have clips named e.g.:

HDV20071210_08.27.33.avi
HDV20071210_08.31.28.avi

HDVSplit gives you the possibility to define the beginning of the name ("HDV" in the example).

Or is there some technical reason why this is not possible?

Alan Mills December 12th, 2007 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bucklin (Post 790347)
Hello All,
As a result of your requests, I've implemented a new feature for the next release.

Now, you will be able to tell HD Link (in the preferences window, along side the "split scenes" check box) what number you want your clips to start with when you have scene split selected. With scene split unchecked, your base capture file name will be unaltered.

With scene split checked, your first clip will contain your specified starting clip number. For instance, if you've told HD Link to start at "12", your first clip will be named "ClipName-012.avi", followed by "ClipName-013.avi", etc. instead of "ClipName.avi" followed by "ClipName-001.avi", etc.

Thanks Tim,

For me, that will be a complete and full solution. :)

I just hope I can use this new version. Having troubles with latest builds (crashing on opening old/template projects - trouble ticket filed) and having to stick with Aspect 5.1 right now :(

Tim Bucklin December 12th, 2007 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Mills (Post 791173)
Thanks Tim,

For me, that will be a complete and full solution. :)

I just hope I can use this new version. Having troubles with latest builds (crashing on opening old/template projects - trouble ticket filed) and having to stick with Aspect 5.1 right now :(

Hi Alan,

Hopefully the next build won't cause Premiere problems. However, if it does, just copy the HD Link.exe file out of C:\Program Files\CineForm before you uninstall the new version. Then, when you revert to 5.1, copy that HD Link.exe back into the folder and overwrite the one installed with 5.1.

Tim Bucklin December 12th, 2007 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matti Remonen (Post 790565)
Now, when we are still on the subject of naming the clips I would like to make very humble request for another naming scheme: clips named according the timecode in the tape. In order to achieve the functionality today, I need first to use the HDVSplit to split and name the clips. After that I run the clips through HD Link and make the conversion.

What I'm after is to have clips named e.g.:

HDV20071210_08.27.33.avi
HDV20071210_08.31.28.avi

HDVSplit gives you the possibility to define the beginning of the name ("HDV" in the example).

Or is there some technical reason why this is not possible?

Timecode in HD Link-captured files is a frequently requested feature, but is quite a bit more involved than what I've done in this case. HD Link is due for a complete makeover and overhaul, and timecode will likely make its way into the software at that time. ETA for that is unknown at the moment, however.

As for timecode in the file name, as you've suggested, that's a good idea for an interim solution. I'm finishing up XDCAM EX support at the moment, but when I'm done, I'll give this a look and see if it's something that's reasonably simple to implement.

Christopher Glaeser December 12th, 2007 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bucklin (Post 791327)
As for timecode in the file name, as you've suggested, that's a good idea for an interim solution.

Wow, that would be a great interim solution! Thanks for listening.

Best,
Christopher

Alan Mills December 13th, 2007 07:27 AM

One further thought here...

Would there be any mileage in building in the idea of 'Tape Number' as well?

I know we could incorporate the tape number into the clip name but....

Matti Remonen December 14th, 2007 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bucklin (Post 791327)
As for timecode in the file name, as you've suggested, that's a good idea for an interim solution.

This would be greatly appreciated since it would save me from otherwise unnecessary phase in the workflow.

Most of the people probably do not need this feature since they shoot professionally and keep track on the takes they shoot. Therefor the take# is more appropriate solution for them.

But I shoot just for fun (and for homevideos), and therefore the time of the shooting makes difference. Same thing probably with e.g. wedding videographers: actual time of the shoot tells more than just the number of the take when trying to locate the correct clip.