Latest Neo HDV crashed Nero Vision at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 6th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #1
New Boot

Latest Neo HDV crashed Nero Vision

Just installed 3.2.3 build 150 and now the latest version of Nero Vision crashes on startup. Looking in the event log it says "Faulting application nerovision.exe, version 5.2.7.0, faulting module ajacapturefilter.ax, version 1.1.0.9, fault address 0x0003491c."
Joe Pasarela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

There is definitely something broken with b150. If you look at the other threads concerning Sound Forge and Windows Messenger it looks like b150 does not work nicely.

Are we all Vista users (as myself) or is this happening with XP also?
Matti Remonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #3

I'm on winXP
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #4
Major Player

A sure way to verify if the Neo HDV DirectShow filter (ajacapturefilter.ax) is the culprit without having to uninstall the entire product is to unregister it with Windows:

regsvr32 -u ajacapturefilter.ax (from the cmd prompt in the directory containing the filter)

and see if the other programs behave.

To re-enable it,

regsvr32 ajacapturefilter.ax

A buggy filter can upset a lot of programs. Any programs that have video capture capability will typically enumerate all the available capture filters on the system to determine their capabilities etc. In doing so, the filters have to be loaded. If the filter has a bug that happens at the time of loading/creating itself, it will crash the parent program (e.g., NeroVision, Live Messenger etc).

If the filter behaves itself in the program it is designed for then a temporary fix is to unregister/register the filter (as above). i.e., to use other programs that are being crashed, unregister the filter first. To use the intended program, re-register the filter first.

You can create a couple of .bat files (say regit.bat and unregit.bat) and put them on your desktop so that you only need to double-click the right .bat file to make the change.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #5
New Boot

I'm on XP here.

I just renamed ajacapturefilter.ax to .bak and Nero Vision loads fine. I don't have an aja card, so it's fine for me to rename it and leave it that way.
Joe Pasarela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks! Unregistering ajacapturefilter.ax fixed the issue with Messenger and Ulead Videostudio crashing. I won't be doing any capturing with Neo, only converting existing video files, so I'll leave that buggy filter unregistered.
John Telleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Looks like you have solved the issue for us. AJA gave us that component to fix something else (AJA related), seems that it is a bit flakey. Although it wasn't supposed to be registered, so that is likely the installer bug. Delete or unregister that component if you don't have an AJA card.
Old January 6th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #8
Major Player

If you choose to delete it, unregister it first. Otherwise, it will leave behind information in the registry that may fool other programs to think the filter is available even though it is not. It *shouldn't* cause a problem but it may.

EDIT: Another thought. Sometimes uninstalling the main package can fail if a component that needs to be unregistered at uninstallation time cannot be found. It might be wise for someone to try unregistering the filter, moving it to a separate folder (to fake deleting and still have it available) and then uninstall the main application. If it fails, move the filter back to its original location but leave it unregistered. If it works, reinstall the main app.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #9

Likewise, here. Unregistered the filter and SF work again ;o)
Lots of smart people in this forum...thanx.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase