Going Back to XP (for now) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 14th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Going Back to XP (for now)

When I upgraded to Vista, I replaced the C-drive first so that I would have a fallback. That was 8 months ago.

Now I an getting more into my hobby with my HV20 and I just can't use Cineform on Vista. Between the flaky HDLink and the stuttering play back using the only viewer that even works (Media Player Classic), I just have to revert. Actually, Cineform is the only program in my suite which isn't Vista compatible.

It is a chore to do this with the various de-activations, but so be it.

David, I would love to continue the move tonight, Is the De-activate, re-activate process working in the evenings? Or is that a regular business hours thing? I sent it in just 30 minutes ago.

Mike
Michael DAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:34 PM   #2
Major Player

It's automated so should be up all the time except when we have an occasional Internet glitch. If you've submitted, hopefully you've been successful.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, all set.. emails came within the hour.

Mike
Old January 14th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #4
Major Player

Sometimes (not always), audio applications perform poorly on Vista. From what I have been able to deduce, it is audio chipset dependent.

Basically, up to XP, audio is accelerated with DirectSound. This is deprecated in Vista and DirectSound is emulated with software. This hurts legacy media players. Videos end up choppy while the media player tries to keep the audio going properly.

There is a test you can run to see if it is this problem: disable the soundcard in Control Panel. If video playback is now correct, you know it's the problem.

Sadly, there isn't much you can do unless you use software that is Vista aware and chooses non-DirectSound drivers for audio (or lets you choose). (The hardware is okay - it's the drivers).
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you John -- Well it is sort of fun to be back in XP -- still have a few applications to move over, but it is nice to see the videos playing better.

Anyway, that is something to keep in mind. I wish, however, Cineform would embrace Vista more than it does. Vista really is more eye-candy and I had all of that turned off to try to solve the playback problem.

My computer is a dual core 3.2 GHz Pentium. I have 4 gigs of RAM purchased for Vista (not all is addressable, I know -- he maybe now that I am on XP I need that Ram switch I read about). My video card is a dual head GeForce 7600GT.

I intend to replace one monitor with a 24" Samsung 245T so I wanted the video to be smooth before that purchase.

Well this a how I spend my free time... If I did it for a living, I wouldn't have the time for all these experiments.

Mike
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have heard so many problems with Vista, I have decided to stick with XP. I learned my lesson with Windows Me.

I see Dell still offers XP as an option, a year after Vista is out.

Cineform is not the only one with Vista issues.

The medical software I use is not currently supported by Vista either.
David Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #7
Major Player

I had a new editing machine built a few months back.. I have always tried to build a machine that was ungradable.

Out of the four editing machines I have had built that approach has never worked. By the time I got ready to upgrade the technology had changed.

This time I decided to build the fastest machine they could build with everything in it I wanted not putting anything off for upgrade.

I told the builder to put the latest operating system on it. He refused to put vista on an editing machine. He said to give it a year. It is starting to look like a year is not going to do it.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #8
Major Player

Vista is P0S...After 3 months on my laptop i've finally have all drivers for XP and can install XP SP2.
"Kill Bill" movie about vista and Bill Gates, right? :)
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #9
Major Player

After a LONG time on Vista, I dumped it and went back to XP X64.
Best thing I have ever done.

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell View Post
After a LONG time on Vista, I dumped it and went back to XP X64.
Best thing I have ever done.

Dave
We loaded x64 on a new editing machine, but are still having some odd probs, even with all updated Gigabyte/nVidia/Cineform/MS drivers. All in all, it's a toss up between XP Pro 32-bit and x64 now. We've got them both running on different machines and both have advantages and disadvantages, but both are superior to Vista for stability and overall performance.

Somehow, I've seen this whole story before with MS. They'll flail Vista for a while longer, try to eke out some more R&D money from it, then dump it for Win 7 that's in development! Same ole story for the last 25 yrs.

Now if they can actually get some improvements out with this next SP3 for XP (without losing ground), we'll get down the road a bit longer before suffering again with a whole new "better thing" that comes out...
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #11
Major Player

ive gone back to xp like 12 times. each time hoping that when i tried vista it would be amazing.

i started reading about vista when i was introduced as longhorn. huge disappointment .
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #12
Major Player

I bought two Vista machines last summer and took both of them back. I ended up building my own dual core and intsalling XP. It's nice having everything working.

Pat
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase