Qualitative differences for 60i to 24p conversion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 15th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Qualitative differences for 60i to 24p conversion

I am editing a documentary I shot recently using (primarily) an HVR-V1U in 24p. However there is some b-roll footage that we had to shoot with an HDR-FX7 in 60i. I'll try using as little footage as possible from the FX7, but I presume I will still need some footage from it, if only for a few quick cutaways.

I know that Red Giant has a tool now called Magic Bullet Frames that does conversion from 60i to 24p, but can I use Cineform to achieve the same effect? I just want to be able to edit on the same timeline essentially, and minimizing effects like ghosting (though some of that is probably inevitable).

I'm not yet sure though whether Cineform has this capability though, I looked in HD-Link and only saw these options for a 24p target:

30p to 24p (-20% slowmotion)
60p to 24p (-60% slowmotion)

I couldn't find anything for 60i to 24p. Are there settings in the program that can do this for me, or will I need to invest in something like Magic Bullet Frames, or DV Film Maker?

Maybe After Effects can do it?
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Major Player

Craig, HD Link CAN do 60i to 24p conversion. Select BOTH "remove 3:2 pulldown" AND "Deinterlace". Here is our Tech Note describing settings: http://www.cineform.com/products/Tec...apSettings.htm

There are many different algorithms that can be used for 60i to 24p conversion, and some are better than others, and some are footage dependent. I would check out both Magic Bullet and CineForm conversions to see which one works better for your source footage.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Oh excellent. Yeah I wasn't sure, I thought maybe that was only for footage that had pulldown (like the HV20 or V1U) and not for footage that was shot natively at 60i.

That tech note seems to have all the information I need, thanks :)
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #4
Major Player

There is also DVFilm:

http://dvfilm.com/maker/index.htm
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase