DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Question about using Cineform codec to digitize analog sources. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/113168-question-about-using-cineform-codec-digitize-analog-sources.html)

Craig Irving January 25th, 2008 10:00 AM

Question about using Cineform codec to digitize analog sources.

I need to digitize some VHS footage to splice into a documentary I am editing, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do that. I used to digitize through my old camcorder and bring it into DV format, but the V1U doesn't have analog-pass-through capabilities.

Now I plan to use my ATI all-in-wonder card through composite, and I'm wondering if I should be using the Cineform codec for this capture process. I know Cineform is for HD and all, and it would probably be overkill for an old VHS tape, but does it make it easier to work w/ this footage in PPro CS3 since I'll be using the Cineform project preset? If I encode to any other format, wouldn't I be re-rendering once I import it into my Cineform project?

A lot of guides I've read seem to suggest HuffYUV and MJPEG for the capture/digitization process, but how would those codecs behave if I brought them into my Cineform project? Would they even import?

If anyone has a workflow suggestion for using analog footage within a 1080p24 Aspect HD project in PPro CS3 that'd be great!

David Newman January 25th, 2008 10:53 AM

No harm in using CineForm codec for SD.

Craig Irving January 25th, 2008 10:56 AM

Great news. Any suggestions on the quality preset?

Is the low-quality preset too low even for VHS, or should I go with medium?

Also, I've been converting my FX7 60i footage into 24p capturing on-the-fly with Aspect HD and it looks great. I'd like to do the same for this video footage that's in 60i, to match the rest of my 23.976fps files. But if I'm going straight into Cineform AVI at 60i, where would I go to convert that 60i AVI file into a 24p AVI file?

Would I use the convert section in HDLink or is convert only for M2T files?

Graham Hickling January 25th, 2008 12:23 PM

I use the CFHD codec frequently for SD capture. It produces much smaller files than huffyuv, and better quality than mjpeg at the equivalent file size. I just leave it on medium quality, but low would probably look fine too.

Interesting question about the 60i to 24p transcode ... I suspect HDlink will indeed do that during conversion as well as capture. (I've never tried, as I use avisynth for deinterlacing).

David Newman January 25th, 2008 12:53 PM

Medium might be the sweet spot for removing a little analog VHS noise but maintains a good picture. As for the pulldown removal, that works on live analog or digital capture just as well as file conversions. You could even scale up your SD to HD of the fly (if you PC is fast.) I assume all your VHS source is 60i originated, so you will not be removing pulldown in the normal sense, however if you select pulldown removal AND deinterlace, the 60i is converted to 24p for you and it looks pretty nice. HDLink does far more that is really should. :)