DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   StreamPix4 with CineformRAW (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/113935-streampix4-cineformraw.html)

Serge Victorovich February 4th, 2008 03:34 PM

StreamPix4 with CineformRAW

For few HD cameras like SMX-12A2 when every camera is connected to own PC
need separate license (NEO4K) per PC or possible use one license to PC where is installed StreamPix4?

David Newman February 4th, 2008 04:15 PM

Do you need to install StreamPix on each station? If so we are the same.

Serge Victorovich February 4th, 2008 06:16 PM

As understand StreamPix must be installed on central PC and able to control any camera connected to PC in gigabit network with preview proxy's from each cam.
4K is 4096x2048 or bigger up to 4096x4096 ?
In my case i only need 1/4 per PC;)
4096x2048 is equal to four per 2048x1024 :D

David Newman February 4th, 2008 06:57 PM

NEO 4K is unlimited, so bigger than 4096 x 4096. If you have to install NEO 4K on multiple machines you would need multiple licenses. Really all you need is one NEO 4K or Prospect 4K for editing, a mulitple RAW encoding licenses (which would be cheaper.) Email David Taylor (or me and I will forward) to arrange that sort of this.

Luc Nocente March 2nd, 2008 06:36 PM

Proxy

Here is a response from my CTO, Philippe Candelier:

" There is no Proxy with StreamPix. You need to have StreamPix installed and running on each workstation where a camera is connected and recording is required. The camera is connected to the computer via fire wire or gigE conection, without proxy. StreamPix controls all camera features and parameters using the camera API. "

Serge Victorovich March 4th, 2008 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc Nocente (Post 836393)
Here is a response from my CTO, Philippe Candelier:

" There is no Proxy with StreamPix. You need to have StreamPix installed and running on each workstation where a camera is connected and recording is required. The camera is connected to the computer via fire wire or gigE conection, without proxy. StreamPix controls all camera features and parameters using the camera API. "

Luc, you posted also on another tread this:

Quote:

Streampix4 is listed at 1,495.00$US and is the multi camera version of the software. Using StreamPix4 you can record from 4 cameras simultaneously at 1920 x 1080 x 30 fps x 12 bits using a single computer.
What configuration of single PC was used to capture CineformRAW from 4 GiGe cameras simultaneously at 1920 x 1080 x 30 fps x 12 bits ?

Luc Nocente March 10th, 2008 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serge Victorovich (Post 837379)
Luc, you posted also on another tread this:

What configuration of single PC was used to capture CineformRAW from 4 GiGe cameras simultaneously at 1920 x 1080 x 30 fps x 12 bits ?

Using CineForm raw we can only capture from 2 HDTV cameras simultaneously.

We can capture from 4 cameras in one pc only if you are capturing in uncompressed format. Also, if you are capturing in 12 bit format than the camera needs to have pixel packing to do 4 cameras in one pc. otherwise, if the camera does not have pixel packing that you are limited to 3 cameras in one pc with uncompressed format and 16 bits.

Luc Nocente March 10th, 2008 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serge Victorovich (Post 820238)
As understand StreamPix must be installed on central PC and able to control any camera connected to PC in gigabit network with preview proxy's from each cam.
4K is 4096x2048 or bigger up to 4096x4096 ?
In my case i only need 1/4 per PC;)
4096x2048 is equal to four per 2048x1024 :D

What camera are you using to do 4096 x 2048? Are you using a camera link camera?

Luc Nocente March 10th, 2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 820137)
Do you need to install StreamPix on each station? If so we are the same.

Yes, one copy of StreamPix per computer. If you have 2 or 4 cameras in one pc then you only need 1 copy of StreamPix4.

Anmol Mishra March 15th, 2008 08:53 PM

Streampix + Cineform RAW workflow

Hi David. I am going to a 1080p GigE camera with a 1-inch Kodak CCD sensor. I was told that I need Streampix + Cineform RAW + Prospect 2K for my CS3 workflow.
Is that correct ?
If I have a Cineform RAW license - do I still need a separate license to edit the captured video ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 820276)
NEO 4K is unlimited, so bigger than 4096 x 4096. If you have to install NEO 4K on multiple machines you would need multiple licenses. Really all you need is one NEO 4K or Prospect 4K for editing, a mulitple RAW encoding licenses (which would be cheaper.) Email David Taylor (or me and I will forward) to arrange that sort of this.

Jason Rodriguez March 15th, 2008 10:53 PM

Quote:

If I have a Cineform RAW license - do I still need a separate license to edit the captured video ??
If you simply want to read the files, and you have a pretty fast machine (at least very fast dual-core for 1080P) so that you don't need the multi-resolution decoding capabilities of P2K, then you can get by with the free NeoPlayer codec. I also believe on a fast machine, NeoPlayer can work for single-stream editing, but I would have to defer whether that works to David and let him answer that question. But NeoPlayer is ideal if you want to either work on the Mac/FCP (and don't need encoding capabilities on the Mac back to CineForm 444), or if you want to import your files into After Effects, etc.

If your machine is slower, so that you need the real-time half-resolution playback options, or you want multi-stream real-time editing with effects, then you will need P2K.

Also P2K in PPro CS3 enables you to edit the active metadata associated with a file such as the white-balance, matrix, etc. So there is a lot of added value for RAW workflows beyond real-time multi-stream editing (which is impressive in itself).

Anmol Mishra March 16th, 2008 04:25 AM

David, Can I confirm if the free NeoPlayer works for single stream editing ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Rodriguez (Post 843172)
I also believe on a fast machine, NeoPlayer can work for single-stream editing, but I would have to defer whether that works to David and let him answer that question. But NeoPlayer is ideal if you want to either work on the Mac/FCP (and don't need encoding capabilities on the Mac back to CineForm 444), or if you want to import your files into After Effects, etc.

Does this mean that I cannot use the files encoded with Cineform RAW and use Colorama, and any advanced After Effects filters ? I will be doing special effects - so its not all cut-editing.. However real-time playback is not required..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Rodriguez (Post 843172)
Also P2K in PPro CS3 enables you to edit the active metadata associated with a file such as the white-balance, matrix, etc. So there is a lot of added value for RAW workflows beyond real-time multi-stream editing (which is impressive in itself).

David Newman March 16th, 2008 09:33 AM

NEO Player is simply a decoder, that all is does. So you can use it in most NLE, or compositing tools, but you will be messing a lot. If you intending to use CS3 on the PC, you will be missing the most, there we offer the most performance enablements and color manipulation features. You can try both workflows for free.

Anmol Mishra March 16th, 2008 11:10 AM

This is what I understand - please correct me if I wrong..

I capture using Cineform RAW.
I download the NeoPlayer.
With this, I can do anything within an NLE - however I cannot re-encode (to a cineform codec, but I can to another one) or take advantage of the real-time editing..
However, I have a Blackmagic intensity card, so I can do a realtime preview on an external HDMI monitor anyway..

When you say
<<<
edit the active metadata associated with a file such as the white-balance, matrix, etc.
>>>

does this mean that NOT using Cineform P2K hides color information within a Cineform encoded file ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 843297)
NEO Player is simply a decoder, that all is does. So you can use it in most NLE, or compositing tools, but you will be messing a lot. If you intending to use CS3 on the PC, you will be missing the most, there we offer the most performance enablements and color manipulation features. You can try both workflows for free.

David Newman March 16th, 2008 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anmol Mishra (Post 843331)
This is what I understand - please correct me if I wrong..

I capture using Cineform RAW.
I download the NeoPlayer.
With this, I can do anything within an NLE - however I cannot re-encode (to a cineform codec, but I can to another one) or take advantage of the real-time editing..
However, I have a Blackmagic intensity card, so I can do a realtime preview on an external HDMI monitor anyway..

When you say
<<<
edit the active metadata associated with a file such as the white-balance, matrix, etc.
>>>

does this mean that NOT using Cineform P2K hides color information within a Cineform encoded file ??

I don't know if Blackmagic support real-time playback of third party codecs, but otherwise you description is correct.

Color information is carried as metadata (it is real cool, and get cooler), in the free decoder you can turn the metadata off or on, but you can't make changes to the metadata. So you still do tranditional color correction as if where any other file type. With the full editing tools you can alter the metadata to simplify color work and applying 3D Looks (full secondary color profiles) to your media.