DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   NEO HDV Crashes Vegas 8b...happening to anyone else? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/116859-neo-hdv-crashes-vegas-8b-happening-anyone-else.html)

Jason Aumont March 12th, 2008 03:45 PM

NEO HDV Crashes Vegas 8b...happening to anyone else?

I downloaded a trial of Neo HDV to edit HDV footage from my Canon XH-A1. I captured everything just fine at the medium quality setting in HD Link. Clips play back fine in the trimmer, also can scroll and make in/out points in the trimmer. When I lay out a number of clips on the timeline then scroll through them...CRASH!
Any thoughts on why this is? Has this happened to anyone else?

I've been using Vegas for many years now and have never seen it unstable like this. I need to find a viable solution for editing HDV because I intend to shoot a documentary in a few months. I was hoping Neo HDV was the way to go, so please tell me I forgot to click something somewhere, because I would hate to cut in Final Cut.

I'm using a new MacBook Pro that I have cut roughly 20 DV projects on in Vegas without an issue.

Thanks,
Keith

Chris Barcellos March 12th, 2008 04:42 PM

I use NeoHDV and Vegas 8 regularly, without these types of hicups...on a PC, dual core AMD 3800+...

For starters, what version of Vegas, what are you using as a project setting, did you capture in .avi file format, and did you remove pulldown ?

Jason Aumont March 12th, 2008 05:39 PM

I am using Vegas 8b, I set my project up for HDV 24P (that's what I shot in), I did not select "remove 3-2 pulldown" in HD Link...could the pulldown be the problem?

I'm on a 2.4 Intel Core Duo with 3 gigs of ram.

-Jason

Chris Barcellos March 12th, 2008 06:16 PM

Its possible, but first, are you trying to preview at full resolution.

I have to set preview to lower levels to get full motion, with any Cineform playback. That the one bitch I've seen with Cineform an Vegas. I usually edit at preview half screen resolution to see what full motion looks like, and will switch highest rez to view individual frame as I scrub.

You may also be dealing with two separate Cineform codecs. Check out these threads as I know this issue has been posted before.

Jason Aumont March 12th, 2008 08:46 PM

Yeah, I usually offline at half and quarter res, then bump up when finishing...so that's probably not it. I'll check the 2 codec thing, but i'll be honest, i've been using Vegas for 7 years and this is the first issue i've ever had that i couldn't troubleshoot. Might just be a MacBook/Bootcamp thing...I wish they'd port Vegas to OS X, but that'll never happen.

Thanks for your help,
Jason

Andrew Pitonyak March 13th, 2008 01:07 PM

I have not seen any problems, but I have only used the trimmer once and my preview is small. Have not yet found a good tutorial on exactly what it does (in and out points, hmm..., I can only guess).