NeoHD or ProspectHD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 17th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #1
Tourist

NeoHD or ProspectHD?

I'm hoping David Taylor or David Newman can answer my questions --

I currently have Aspect HD and CS2 loaded on my PC for editing my HV20 24F videos. I'm looking at buying a MacBook Pro and CS3 for Mac for more mobile editing.

I see I can upgrade my Aspect HD to either Neo HD for $299 or to Prospect HD for $499. I'm confused over the description of each of these products. It leads me to believe that I can upgrade to Neo or Prospect and use them on my current PC and use the included Cineform Mac codec on my MacBook Pro.

Is this correct? It seems too good to be true to be able to use Cineform on two systems -- one PC and one Mac -- under the same license. What am I missing? Also, I'm still confused over whether to get Neo or Prospect if I'm using Adobe.

I hope you can clear this up for me.

Thanks, Chris
Chris Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

As an Aspect HD user, you will want Prospect HD if you intend to continue using Premiere under Windows (even on your MacBook Pro.) Prospect HD comes with a license for Windows and additional lisence for the codec under OS X.
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #3
Tourist

David,

Thanks for the lightning fast reply! I'll definitely get Prospect HD.

I am still a bit confused about whether I have to buy two licenses, one for my current PC (so I can have it do the heavy lifting of my After Effects On-Lining) and one for the laptop on which I hope to do editing on Premiere under Mac OS -- not under Windows on the Mac. I'm concerned since the additional license will put me back $1000.

Does the additional license for the codec under the Mac OS X that comes with the Prospect HD upgrade allow me to...
1. Use HD Link and capture/convert to Cineform AVI on my PC's external drive using Prospect HD
2. Then attach my external HD with my captured cineform video to the Mac and edit on PPro under Mac OS X, save this project to the external HD
3. Then attach the external drive to my PC, open the PPro project in AE, and do On-Lining on my PC in AE? -- all with one Prospect HD upgrade and two licenses (one PC and one Mac OS X)?

Does this make sense? Again, sorry to bother you, but I'm trying to wrap my head around this before I start spending money left and right.

Thanks again -- Chris
Chris Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You have it. Just an update to Prospect HD will give you those abilities.
Old March 18th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #5
Tourist

Thanks Dave. You have sealed the deal! I am off to buy a MacBook Pro and upgrade to Prospect HD. Thanks again for the timely reply.
Chris Morgan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase