HD link conversion problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 25th, 2008, 08:36 AM   #1
New Boot

HD link conversion problems

hi !

my system is XP32 on a standard DELL optiplex 755 machine.
i've installed blackmagic codec so that i can playback the MOV files i captured from a mac with FCP.

1) when i want to convert MOV blackmagic files to cineform (MOV or AVI) i go the message "format not supported"... wow so nice for a product dedicated to this card !

2) format not supported but I can see the video in an active movie window... strange indeed. when I hit "stop", the video disapears, and the log says "convert done". lol not done at all !
I have a red cross in my source clips. I can not reprocess this clip again: i have to delete in from the sourclips box. and even then i got a message about duplicate file.

3) so finally , i got to close HDlink a restart it completely. it always says "convert done" but nothing is done... and I can't even copy/paste the log into text file.

4) if I use a third conversion tools like Rhozet, Flip factory and so on, all works perfectly.

frédéric

hd link tested :
from neo 4k version 3.2.5 and 3.3.0
Frédéric Salvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Send a small sample file to support (file a ticket www.cineform.com/support.) There is limited support for MOV based codecs as inputs to HDLink, which is designed for live capture or converting camera formats which typically aren't MOVs. The issue is HDLink is a DirectShow tool and MOVs generally don't use DirectShow. Sometimes you can use the QuickTime Alternative kit, to address these issues : http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm. The fact that you see an active movie window suggest something is try to use DShow, so it should be fixable if we get a sample.
Old April 28th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #3
New Boot

MOV example file

I personally HATE the MOV wrapper. so poor performance in decoding and encoding (only use 1 core). mac based, and poor support on windows... but this wrapper does have a native timecode track. this timecode i hope it's preserved after CF conversion...
i know quicktime alternative, but i need the "real" thing here.

PS : my example file of 3 sec is 80MB... too large for support apparently ?

PS2 : if the file is coded with 10bit blackmagic, i don't see the active movie window. If it's a 8bit version, i do see the movie, but still get "format error" in HDLink.
Old April 28th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

For files of 100MB or less support would ask you to use yousendit.com (it is free.)

For for 10-bit black magic files, it is hard to find anything that keeps them 10-bit, even AE chop them to 8-bit without a custom importer. You will need to convert using an application that both loads all 10-bit of a BlackMagic files and supports 16-bit output to QT.
Old April 28th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #5
New Boot

10bit (and more)

"For for 10-bit black magic files, it is hard to find anything that keeps them 10-bit"...
that's exactly why i use HDLink, to have a CF-10bit version after transcoding.

by the way, can i do this transcode from a MOV in full HD 4:4:4 mode ?
Old April 28th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

HDLink is DirectShow based, therefore no. 10-bit MOV support in HDLink would have to be hard-coded.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase