DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Monitor Output Overlay Not Working (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/120596-monitor-output-overlay-not-working.html)

Brent Graham April 29th, 2008 09:34 PM

Monitor Output Overlay Not Working

I've got two video cards installed in my Quad Core WinXP computer, the first is an Nvidia 7600 gtx (or something, 512mb) and an Nvidia Geforce 5400 (or 5200).

The big one runs two 21" LCDs and works fine. The little one runs S-Video out only to a JVC Broadcast Monitor.

I have the 3rd monitor the JVC set up for Video Overlay in windows and it displays fullscreen video perfectly while in a Premiere SD-DV project. So I know everything is set up correctly.

But it won't output to the monitor when I'm running in a Cineform HD project. I assumed it would automatically downconvert (scale) the image along with the pull-down 2:3:3:2 setting in the Cineform Playback settings window.

Anyone have any ideas or advice on what to change/check?

The last thing I want to hear is that I need an HD monitor to actually output Cineform timelines! Who can afford a professional HD Broadcast monitor?!

Thanks

Brent Graham May 4th, 2008 12:25 PM

Out of 106 people, nobody knows?

Damn.

Graham Hickling May 4th, 2008 07:24 PM

If the issue is the SD-only resolution of the S-video port that you are using at the moment, then replace the 5400 with a sub-$100 6600GS or similar that has an HD-out port and cables (red/green/blue) in addition to S-Video.

You would then need a monitor or LCDTV or whatever with component inputs, but whether it has to be broadcast quality is up to you.

Mike McCarthy May 5th, 2008 12:09 PM

Monitoring is a complex issue with Cineform. The basic options are Overlay with ATI or old Nvidia drivers, or use a XenaLH card. Lots of info on thhis in older posts.

Brent Graham May 9th, 2008 02:16 PM

But it's an SD broadcast monitor. So the computer hardware MUST be downsizing somewhere, and my guess is that it happens before the S-video cable, so why would that matter?

My video card is able to overlay SD footage. But can't overlay a cineform HD track, so is cineform not downrezzing properly?

William Middleton May 10th, 2008 12:45 PM

I have experienced a similar problem--I have a quad core winXP w/ a quadro FX 1500 video card (and Aspect HD). The card goes to two monitors--one HD monitor for full screen video playout, and the other to a vga monitor. This may sound dumb (and you may have already tried it) but make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your card. Prior to updating the drivers, I experienced hard crashes--right after a few seconds of playing video. Updated the drivers and that fixed that.

However, I still have a playback issue and only when I am in a Cineform project; I can play video but there is a huge glitch at the beginning; then when I hit stop, the full screen video screen returns to an image of my desktop. The video in the timeline never permanently stays on the full-screen video monitor. Not so when I am in a non-Cineform project.

I said all of that to say this: Cineform has acknowledged that this is an issue and they are working on it. This may or may not have a bearing on your problem, but it sounded similar enough that I thought I would post it.

Brent Graham May 10th, 2008 01:52 PM

thank you.