Editing Progressive vs Interlace - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 13th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #16
Trustee

Stephen
Thanks for the tip re uprezzing HDV to 1920. Since I have started shooting in EX1 1080HQ it is strikingly apparent that compressing the sq pix format produces siginificantly better looking m2v, h264, whatever.
So, for 2 cam shoot- EX1 + V1, the smart move would be to use Prospect 1080x1920 30p timeline, deinterlace all footage on capture with CF, and uprez the HDV to 1920 sq pix on capture.
Brilliant!
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #17
Trustee

Stephen
Ingesting everything to CFHD as 1920 30p seems to work great. Does take a little more time for HDV capture and convert, but working in 1920p, with the ability to export and compress to delivery formats directly from the timeline more than makes up for that.
Thanks for the tip.
Old May 24th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #18
Major Player

Certainly our experience matches yours! I guess we just hit the sweet spot for the best final output (from tape or compression) you can squeeze out of Sony HDV cams?

The only way to better it, is to capture directly from the cam, using the HDMI or SDI output. Especially for greenscreen/bluescreen work, the lack of MPEG blocking and the direct CF compression can really smooth things out.

Now if we can just swing the $$ for a EX3, and get our new custom field recorder down here, we'll be flying high! It's a tiny little industrial quad computer that converts to CFHD in realtime from the HDMI or SDI cam outs. It's more pain to DC power it in the field, but the end results can be worth it.

We'd like to go to a RAW workflow in the future, but I guess that will have to wait a bit yet. Meanwhile, we took that CF Prospect 2K/4K upgrade route to assure the future at a lower price...
Old May 25th, 2008, 04:11 AM   #19
Trustee

My problem is that right now the cameras and workflows are providing more quality than I can utilize with my modest skills. I'm suddenly pausing to learn how to be a better photographer so that I can actually deploy all of this amazing quality I now have at my fingertips. It's come a very long way from the DV world of just a couple of years ago. Amazing!!
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:33 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Deinterlace CF avi to CF avi with hdlink

hi,
would be it possible in a future release of HDlink to deinterlace a CF avi interlaced file to CF avi progressive ?
we can only deinterlace m2t to avi;

it seems to produce a good result than other methods and i would be usefull.

Cedric.
Cedric Pottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedric Pottier View Post
hi,
would be it possible in a future release of HDlink to deinterlace a CF avi interlaced file to CF avi progressive ?
we can only deinterlace m2t to avi;
Cedric.
HDLink already has this capability - that's what the "convert" tab is for!
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I'm trying to get a feel for a work flow here and after reading this thread several times, I came up with this, but I would appreciate it if you guys would comment. I have AspectHD and Premiere Pro CS3.
1. Capture 1080i footage with HDlink, automatically converting to AVI,
Cineform encoder - frame format - automatic , Check Deinterlace, and make resize video - none.
2. Import this footage into Prem pro project Cineform HDV 1080i and edit.
3. File - Exprt - Movie and use Cineform HD export with fields set as "no fields".
4. Import as timeline into Encore CS3 BluRay Project and let Encore encode into MPEG 2 file for the DVD.

Actually, this gives me pretty nice TV from the DVD, but is there anythng wrong with this? Thanks in advance,
John Rich
John Rich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase