MPEG-2 to Cineform AVI via direct conversion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 15th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #1
Major Player

MPEG-2 to Cineform AVI via direct conversion

I just purchased Aspect last night. I'm very happy about my new investment.

When using the 15 day trial version I captured HDV directly from my Canon XL H1 via the P-Pro CS3 provided HDV (MPEG-2) capture. I then used Aspect to convert the MPEG-2 files to AVI files. Aspect broke my 45 minute MPEG-2 down into short little segments of AVI's I was impressed with how the software did this.

QUESTION: Have I lost any quality by converting the MPEG-2 files directly versus if I had captured from the XL H1 with Cineform capture?

I did originally attempt to capture from the XL H1 directly through the Cineform HDV capture. However, I was getting an error message after a few minutes of capture (i.e. "Did not capture"). I assumed that perhaps there may have been some sort of limitation on the trial version.

Thanks
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:13 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Using direct capture or conversion of existing files the quality is the same.

Your capture problems are not a trial issue. Do some capture tests using HDLink (in the CineForm->Aspect HD.) Once it is working there you should be able to capture within Premiere.
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #3
Major Player

David-

Thanks... I'll give it a shot. Also, do you email notices to customers when there is a rev change. Are rev updates free?

Thanks again. This software is great!
Tim Bickford
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Thanks for the nice feedback. We do updates often, too often to send out emails (that would be annoying) so we put the annoucement here (this forum) and as a news feed http://www.cineform.com/CineFormNews.xml Updates are free for all minor reversions. A major revision typically coinsides with an Adobe upgrade, e.g. CS4, for that we typical charge 20-30% of the MRSP for an upgrade. We don't expect that to happen for a while, plus we grandfather in recent owners to get the major updates for free. All pretty fair we think.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase