Prospect HD/2K/4K v3.3.1 beta - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 5th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #31
Regular Crew

One thing I have noticed is rather odd.

When creating a preset for a Premiere project in PPro if I go to preferances for a Cineform 2K and 4K project and click on the Playback Settings and click on Metadata it just hangs.

Last edited by Christopher Grant Harvey; June 5th, 2008 at 03:49 PM.
Christopher Grant Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
This is a case when too much knowledge is hurting you. You don't text edit the preset. Premiere creates them, so just use Premiere (that how we do it -- takes 10 seconds.) Select the 4K 24p present, click on custom, and select 25 fps, save the new preset (and you are done.)
Gah! Stupid me. It's been a while since I used Premiere, sorry. That worked of course :)

While playing around with two 4K Cineform RAW files, converted from our Red One with r3d2dpx, I noticed 5 things.

Setup: MacPro 8 core 2.8GHz, Nvidia 8800GT, Bootcamp. I created a Cineform 1080p project, placed the files on the time line and applied a 53% zoom (clips have been recorded 2:1) with the Cineform Pan,Zoom,Rotate effect and added a Cineform Additive Dissolve effect.

1) Everything looked ok when scrubbing. But when I hit playback, the preview window displays the clips scaled 50% (a second time it seems). Please see http://fabforce.net/various/Cineform...otPlayback.png and compare with the screenshot below. This did not occur in a Cineform 4K project file (but I didn't use scaling there since the files matched the project resolution).

2) I wanted to try the RAW Metadata settings to change the look of the RAW files, but whatever I changed in the Cineform RAW File Metadata dialog, it had no effect on the clips. Even with most extreme settings. Please see http://fabforce.net/various/Cineform...awMetadata.png

3) I enabled the "Enable overlay surface" in the playback options, but I did not get any overlay on my 8800 GT on the 2nd Monitor. I tried to change some settings in the Nvidia Control Panel but I was not able to find any overlay options there. Any idea if this card supports this feature?

4) When I hit the spacebar it takes about 2 seconds till playback starts.

5) While I was just using Cineform effects and I got realtime playback on both the scaling and the dissolve the Premiere timeline still showed a red-"To-Render" area over the dissolve. Please see the first screenshot.

Apart from those things I have to say that I'm blown away by the speed of the Cineform RAW codec. Total CPU load is 13-20% on my system even when playing two 4K tracks with a dissolve and simple color correction. Only limitation is disk speed and I'm going to format my external RAID with NTFS to make use of that.

I can't wait till the Red Firmware Build 16 is out featuring the API. Then I can update my cam from Build 13 which is the last build working with the unofficial r3d2dpx tool that lets me create Cineform RAW files on the fly.

Btw. for some clips I have to limit the cores used by r3d2dpx to one in order to prevent crashes.

Some of my findings above might be to improper use of some features and not really bugs. Any information would be welcome in any case :)

Thanks a lot and please continue your great work!
Jack
Jack Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #33
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I guess many are quietly using that old Red conversion tool that we pulled form the market, but I'm glad it is working for you. Some of your issue may relate to the old tool, but it all sounds addressable.

1) Our RT pipeline doesn't like to down-res 4K to 1080p for RT playback, but it is find the other way around. Some for 1080p in a 720p project, the reverse works fine. So use 4K project for 4K source then export 1080p, that solves the issue.

2) I don't know why that would be, we you that feature all the time, Red footage or others (maybe this is the failure of that old convertor.) Please contact support on this one.

3) Overlay and NVidia 8800GT does not work, as they remove that feature.

4) That is slow, should be around half a second. Question for support.

5) Like because the mix resolutions, we can't do some motion effects and dissolves at the some time. But solution to 1) should fix this also.

Thanks for the feedback.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase