DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Windows XP 64bit for CS3 with Cineform (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/122107-windows-xp-64bit-cs3-cineform.html)

Ulli Grunow May 21st, 2008 08:58 AM

Windows XP 64bit for CS3 with Cineform

Hi there,
I found to need more RAM memory for my new workstation:

As Cineform is not supporting Vista for the moment the only option is using XP-64bit. The only problem is, that Adobe officially doesn't support XP-64bit. They only certify for 32bit systems... that worries me, as the Vers. 3.2.0 already has many software bugs on their "certified" system (XP SP2, 32bit)

Is there anybody who is running CS3 (production premium suite) succesfully under XP-64bit ? What is your experience ?

Would like to know, before investing in new infrastructure...

Thanks for any advice.

Ulli

David Taylor May 21st, 2008 10:43 AM

Internally we're running XP64 regularly with CS3 and Prospect 4K plus a Xena card. We made some modifications to the way the CineForm codec is called which can benefit from the larger address space in XP64 even though the individual apps (CS3 and P4K) are each 32 bits.

I'll admit that we have not done comprehensive testing across all our products to verify XP64 functionality, but because all CineForm products derive from a similar code tree I suspect you'll be fine with CineForm products with XP64.

I can't vouch for Adobe of course, but CS3 seems to be working fine for us in XP64.

Christopher Grant Harvey May 21st, 2008 01:05 PM

David, is there any meaningful increase in performance from 64bit over 32bit?

In say FCP vs Premiere + Cineform?

Stephen Armour May 21st, 2008 01:57 PM

We run both OS's side-by-side (in different workstations). No probs and the x64 seems to "do it better"!

Haven't found any situation yet that caused probs for CS3 on the x64 ws, but only benefits. In fact, 32bit gives us more trouble overall.

We plan to switch both ws's to x64, if that's any indication. And yes, Christopher, with AE especially, there is realworld benefit.

Drew Mandac May 21st, 2008 09:01 PM

Call me an oddball, but I'm running Vista 64 with CS3 and AspectHD. Cineform advised against Vista 64, but it's just so much more stable on MY system vs WinXP on the same computer. I just edited a short 4 minute CFHD sequence and burned it to BD-RE using Encore...plays great on my PS3.

The only "glitch" (if you can call it that) is that there's a couple seconds of lag from the time you press the space bar to the timeline playing back. I'll take that any day over the random freezes and sudden quits to the desktop that I was experiencing in XP.

Drew

David Taylor May 21st, 2008 10:55 PM

Drew, are you using SP1? We've heard from some users that SP1 is much more stable.

Ulli Grunow May 22nd, 2008 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mandac (Post 881379)
Call me an oddball, but I'm running Vista 64 with CS3 and AspectHD. Cineform advised against Vista 64, but it's just so much more stable on MY system vs WinXP on the same computer. I just edited a short 4 minute CFHD sequence and burned it to BD-RE using Encore...plays great on my PS3.

The only "glitch" (if you can call it that) is that there's a couple seconds of lag from the time you press the space bar to the timeline playing back. I'll take that any day over the random freezes and sudden quits to the desktop that I was experiencing in XP.

Drew

Thanks for all helpful info... seem the consensus is XP-64bit of Vista SP1 (which I have on the lap-top). According to Drew we might have Cineform quickly adopt to Vista as well... doesn't seem to run that bad...:-)

In the meantime I heard from a local friend running CS3 on XP-64 without any problems...
Fine !

Ulli

Drew Mandac May 22nd, 2008 11:47 AM

David: My initial install of all the software and drivers was pre-SP1 (because I read somewhere that after SP1 you cannot install unsigned drivers...don't know if it's true, but I didn't want to chance it). Then I updated to SP1 before editing.

Ulli: If I had a choice between running XP64 and Vista64, I probably would choose XP64 only because Cineform has recommended it and they've tested with it. Since I already bought Vista64 (and since I was having a lot of stability issues with XP32), I had no choice but to install it and see what happens. It's not perfect since I've had one or two freezes, but it's much more stable on my system...stable enough for me to complete this HD project hopefully.

Thanks,
Drew