Work flow from Serious Magic Ultra-2 with Cineform AVI files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 5th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #1
Major Player

Work flow from Serious Magic Ultra-2 with Cineform AVI files

I have been capturing HDV MPEG-2 directly from my Canon XL H1 to my PC via P-Pro. I then convert from MPEG-2 to Cineform AVI files via my recently purchased Aspect software. I then import a Cineform AVI file into Serious Magic Ultra-2.

I'll write the next part in steps:

1) Via Serious Magic Ultra-2 I key out my green screen.

2) Via Ultra-2 I export the keyed video using "Directshow AVI", "Uncompressed" at 32bit - (This is the only way that I can save it with the keyed alpha channel). This is the procedure outlined in the Ultra-2 manual too.

3) I then import into P-Pro CS3 and insert my background over the alpha channel.

The problem is that the sample rate in Ultra-2 at 32bit is very high. A Cineform AVI file that starts out at say 200Meg ends up at 2.5 Gig after I export from Ultra-2 at 32bit. I'm not sure if I'm gaining anything at the high sample rate. There simply is no other choice. If you want an alpha channel, according to Ultra-2, you have to export your key's segment at 32 bit.

I did try to convert the Ultra 32 bit export back to a Cineform AVI file. The file size reduced considerably. However, I lost my alpha channel.

Can anyone recommend a better work flow?

Thanks...

Tim Bickford
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

There are Ultra issues, they simple don't support compressed exports with alpha channel, even though CineForm compression (and one a couple of others) can handle that fine. I can't think of a work around short of recompressing the uncompressed file in AE.
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Major Player

Dave-

Thanks... I gues I can try my luck with the HUGE avi files in P-Pro-CS3. I'll see what happens.

Can you give any advice on an alternative keyer?

Thanks again!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase