Capture using Aspect HD (PPCS3) - render in AECS3 with cineform codec bad practice? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 25th, 2008, 04:52 AM   #1
Major Player

Capture using Aspect HD (PPCS3) - render in AECS3 with cineform codec bad practice?

Hello,

I am trying to figure out if this is BAD practice.

I capture my video from my HV20 camera using Aspect HD (preset 60i) in PPCS3. I then import the .avi clip to AECS3. Add some effects, etc. and then render using cineform codec and then reinsert it in PPCS3 to be exported to DVD mpeg2.

Do I lose image quality because of this workflow?

Also since my final output is DVD for a regular TV, should I keep it interlaced in AECS3 and PPCS3 the whole time?

Thanks,

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #2
Major Player

You do lose an absolutely tiny amount of quality. Using your workflow your final encoding is based on a second generation export. Exporting the original timeline bases the DVD encoding on the first generation clips.

However, first of all, CineForm works incredibly well moving from one generation to the next. Secondly, the drop in quality from HD to DVD is such that even if you did export straight from the timeline, I really don't think you'll be able to see the difference.

FWIW I do the same as you - export to a CineForm AVI and encode from that. However, I do so because I have more faith in the quality of final asset encoders outside of Premiere Pro than I do in the ones supplied.
Old June 25th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #3
Major Player

Hello,

That makes me feel better. ;)

Small amount of quality loss I can live with.

Thanks for your input.

Good day.

Simon
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #4
Major Player

There is nothing to stop you exporting your final project as an uncompressed AVI or else using a lossless codec such as Huffyuv and then bringing that back to the timeline. You could then compare that to doing the same with your CineForm AVI and then seeing what the difference is. My guess is virtually nothing.

Why are you actually bringing back an export into the timeline any way?
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #5
Major Player

Hello,

It is actually not an export, I begin with cineform.avi from my captured video.

Then I want to use AEcs3 to do some effects on the video (cineform .avi) and then my final movie is being made in PPCS3.

I don't have to render it in AECS3. I could just insert it (AECS3 project file) into PPCS3 but then I would need to render it in PPCS3 to see it in real-time. If the AECS3 project is rendered to the cineform codec, I can insert it into PPCS3 and don't need to render it to play it in real-time. Does this make sense?

If you have a better workflow, I am open to new ideas.

Thanks,

Simon
Old June 26th, 2008, 08:29 AM   #6
Major Player

FWIW, CineForm compression quality exceeds that of the respected and venerable HDCam SR. Hollywood trusts HDCam SR for moving their files around, so you'll be in excellent shape with CineForm files as your transport. We've done these comparative tests numerous times, including with major Hollywood studios and post facilities: https://www.cineform.com/technology/...tyAnalysis.htm
David Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase