DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Intensity Pro + NEO + Audio Out of Sync (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/125533-intensity-pro-neo-audio-out-sync.html)

Roger Akers July 8th, 2008 08:30 AM

Intensity Pro + NEO + Audio Out of Sync

Hey guys I've been googling myself to death over this and hope someone here can help me out.

I've gotta Decklink Intensity Pro and I've been capturing my HDMI signal from an XBOX 360. I've used Decklinks native tool and NEO HD capturing tool. The video works great but the audio is out of sync.

I've exhausted all my tests with different settings and just don't know what to do anymore. I've updated all my drivers for decklink..so I'm at a loss.

David Newman July 8th, 2008 08:50 AM

How much out of sync in which direction? We haven't tried capturing from XBOX ourselves, focusing on camera outputs, yet we have a customer that does video game trailers without such issues.

Roger Akers July 8th, 2008 09:26 AM

Thanks for the response David,

It's as if the audio is getting recorded at a different rate than the video. It is out of sync 'late' (to the right) But after manually syncing it to a certain event. It un-syncs a few moments later.

So this means to finish my product I would need to manually sync the audio every 10 seconds or so.

I'm recording at 720 60p 8bit 4:2:2 with 2 channel audio with the remove 3-2 pulldown checked.

David Newman July 8th, 2008 09:58 AM

Don't use remove pulldown, if your source doesn't have it, it might could audio issues.

Jack Zhang July 8th, 2008 10:07 AM

If you can, you can always do that in post, not on-the-fly.

Also, check your HDD speed and CPU speed. if the HDD is slow (due to either not enough bandwidth or too small allocation size) or the CPU is too slow (always at 100%), upgrade your CPU and/or use a SATA HDD at a minimum allocation size of 4096bytes. If problems are caused on both pieces of software, it's most likely hardware that is to blame.

Roger Akers July 8th, 2008 10:23 AM

If I don't click remove pull down the video gets choppy beyond belief and the audio gets garbled.

I'm using an AMD64 Opteron 2.0ghz
The Hard drives are quick (SATA-2 in a RAID 0)

edit: Alsom fixing this in post isn't really an option because I would manually have to sync everything ever 10 seconds. My productivity here at work would be shot.

David Newman July 8th, 2008 10:34 AM

You computer is simply not keeping up, you are way underpowered for real-time capture. Live capture requires two Opterons (or any modern two core system) and preferably 2.4Ghz or better.

Roger Akers July 8th, 2008 10:41 AM

My processor on the machine in question (in my studio) is a dual core 2.01 ghz opteron. (I didn't mention the 'dual' above)

My workstation in my office is a dual quad core XEON 2.66 ghz, so I suppose I could try it in here. I was under the impression I met the requirements for everything on my 'studio' computer tho.

EDIT: Just checked the processor usage while capturing and it's at an even 75 to 80% with the occasional hike to 90%.

David Newman July 8th, 2008 11:08 AM

Not fast enough sorry. For live capture we recommend 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 or better. See more info here http://www.cineform.com/products/Tec.../Intensity.htm If you are seeing anything at 90% you are likely dropping video frames (causing you audio sync issues), averaging 60%-70% or lower will more typical for a suitable system (without removing pulldown.) That Xeon system will work fine (overkill really.)

Roger Akers July 8th, 2008 12:39 PM

For the record David,

If I play the video in 25fps it syncs up fine. I don't see anywhere that suggest I've clicked a PAL setting.

Jack Zhang July 9th, 2008 03:13 PM

A Q6700 would give much more reliability for capture for any live capture environments.

Richard Leadbetter July 10th, 2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Akers (Post 904616)
For the record David,

If I play the video in 25fps it syncs up fine. I don't see anywhere that suggest I've clicked a PAL setting.

By selecting pulldown you are lowering the CineForm workload significantly by only encoding a lower amount of frames. Unfortunately, games consoles run at 60fps, not 24fps or 25fps.

Basically your CPU is waaaay too slow for realtime capture from Xbox 360. An E6600 at 2.4GHz or E6550 at 2.33GHz is the lowest end these days for 8-bit YUY2 720p60 capture at 60fps (which is what your Intensity is providing).

Bearing in mind how behind the pace AMD is compared to Intel, a 3.0GHz X2 CPU or else a Phenom would be my recommendations for 60fps capture from a 360.

Jack Zhang July 22nd, 2008 02:14 AM

Well, just as a heads up Roger, don't post your final edit on Vimeo, they just banned gaming related videos there.

Henry Olonga July 22nd, 2008 08:05 AM

Hi Roger,
I hope I am stating the obvious but do make sure you have the latest drivers for both the intensity and also the software from cineform.I had perpetual audio sync issues until the most recent batch.I am now on 1.8 of the intensity drivers and the issue is resloved - haven't upgraded to the latest yet which is version 2 I think.And on the latest Cineform version as well.Ironically the issue came and went with each upgrade so some versions play nicer than others.This issue did not exist with Blackmagic Designs' mjpeg codec though.
Hope it helps.