Beta of Prospect 4K, v3.4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old July 18th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #1
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Beta of Prospect 4K, v3.4

Beta of Prospect 4K that supports Active Metadata(TM) on 444 sources. This means you can do all that fancy RAW processing on exported media or any 444 source.

Download here: http://tinyurl.com/P4Kb172

Lots of internal changes so your feedback is welcome. Look out of any color shifts on rendered output. I don't expect any, but a lot of the color handling was changed to support Active Metadata.
Old July 20th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Works pretty good... David can you tell us about the changes you have made here...

and also, in the past I have used Mplayer classic to preview Cineform files... but it does
not seem to work with 4K, though Windows Media Player seems to work fine...

What program do you suggest for a preview player with 4K footage....

Thanks
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:47 PM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

P4K 3.4 build 173

Even big and better beta.
Download here: http://tinyurl.com/P4Kb173 (updated 8.30pm PST)

Supports Active Metadata on 422, 444 and RAW sources. Supports the generation and RT playback HDR 3D LUTs on all the above sources. It is pretty cool, I just need to have Jake put together a demo of all the crazy stuff you can now do.

It could be buggy, therefore sticking in beta for a bit longer.

Last edited by David Newman; July 23rd, 2008 at 09:54 PM.
David Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks David.

Have you had reports of errors when exporting using v 3.4. Since upgrading I seem to get a lot of these errors when exporting to CF AVI?

Not sure if it is related.

Chris
Christopher Grant Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #5
Major Player

1st question... what's "FirstLight"?

Next question: how do we activate/access the 3DLUT curves for 4:2:2 material in CS3? (we can pull up the metadata window, but where's the curves window?)

One more thing: when we advance frame by frame in the RAW file metadata window (using Move control on bottom right), the white balance changes every other frame with the CFed 1920x1080p material we're using. Jumps to 6700K Temp and -99 Tint and Gain goes crazy.

Last edited by Stephen Armour; July 24th, 2008 at 08:34 AM.
Stephen Armour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

1) FirstLight is our next major application, we put the text their as a teezer. We're not saying what it will do yet.

2) While there is no free-form curves control -- there is not supposed to be -- plus there is no need. This control panel is for base image development, including channel lift, gamma, gain and saturation controls -- similar (same math) to ASC CDL (Color Decision Lists.) Freeform curves are more part of the creative look, which is available under the 3D LUT selection -- this is far powerful. 3D LUTs can model 99% of what you can do in any color corrector, including multiple secondaries. We don't intent this tool to replace your favourite color corrector -- intend we want you to use your CC tools to create 3D LUTs that you can attach for real-time playback, and later tweaking on the timeline. This is both huge and hard to follow, that is why we need to put together an online video demo.

3) You found a bug, thank you. It seems two frame GOP YUV clips are have some difficultly with that control panel, we will look into that.
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
1) FirstLight is our next major application, we put the text their as a teezer. We're not saying what it will do yet.

2) While there is no free-form curves control -- there is not supposed to be -- plus there is no need. This control panel is for base image development, including channel lift, gamma, gain and saturation controls -- similar (same math) to ASC CDL (Color Decision Lists.) Freeform curves are more part of the creative look, which is available under the 3D LUT selection -- this is far powerful. 3D LUTs can model 99% of what you can do in any color corrector, including multiple secondaries. We don't intent this tool to replace your favourite color corrector -- intend we want you to use your CC tools to create 3D LUTs that you can attach for real-time playback, and later tweaking on the timeline. This is both huge and hard to follow, that is why we need to put together an online video demo.

3) You found a bug, thank you. It seems two frame GOP YUV clips are have some difficultly with that control panel, we will look into that.
Ha, I knew it! Nothing like a little bait...

We're looking forward to see the demo, as we're a little in the dark as to how this could fit into anything other than a RAW workflow. We normally adjust/set color in AE first, then export the CFed clips before bringing into PP3, it's hard to see where this would be useful in our Premiere editing scenario, but we're all about getting educated on this! For RAW, it looks huge, but for this converted HDV stuff...?

Glad the bug's a little one, rest seems pretty stable. We should know soon.
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Once you under the new controls, you will be bypassing your current AE step. :)
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #9
Major Player

David, the realtime control in that metafile window has crashed my PP3 twice. I saved the 68K drwatson32 dump on it, if it could help you let me know and I'll email it.
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

More interested in knowing what you did. What is the "realtime control"?
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
More interested in knowing what you did. What is the "realtime control"?
Sorry, doing too many things at once! I meant:

"the little control bar for advancing the display timeline position one frame, 6 frames, backwards or forwards, or to the end/beginning of the clip"

Like the object controls they used to have in Visual Basic for accessing data in databases.

I was just advancing forward one frame or so, then after a min it crashed PP3. In fact, when I left the metadata window open for a while (5-10 min) and wasn't even touching PP3, it crashed out a 3rd time. Never had that happen before. Only with metadata window open and only when it was active.
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #12
CTO, CineForm Inc.

This will not fail for me. There is new beta coming, fingers crossed it fixes this as well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase