Cineform Wish List at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:44 AM   #1
New Boot

Cineform Wish List

How about a wish list for features we would like to see in future versions of Cineform software? Maybe nothing that hasn't already been mentioned, but all together in one place might be a good focus.

Here are a few for starters:

> Realtime preview during capture - either in the Premiere capture window or in HDLink
> More realtime effects plugins - this is where packages like Matrox are really impressive
> Improved colour correction - the fiddly sliders don't do it for me, even if the results are impressive; Colorista is ace but not RT
> A clear solution to the colour shift during playback and scrubbing - much confusion here
> Tapeless recording - already under development, obviously!
Graham Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Good thread - keep them coming. At some point we'll have to get user feedback about priorities once we have a list. Many on your list are also on our list, but we'll keep ours quiet for a time.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Trustee

A cheap, easy solution to the HD full overlay monitoring issue, not graphic card dependant, would help a lot of users. I'm thinking something like BM Intensity HDMI out to HDTV monitor.
Ooops... I didn't see Graham's other thread. Being redundant here.
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #4
Major Player

There have been a few threads discussing Intensity as a monitoring solution. This will be done, and is on the short list. But we have to work around some annoying driver issues that BM has refused to fix so it has taken longer.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #5
New Boot

Just to expand on one of the items on my list for starters.

Comparing Cineform with Matrox is not really fair as they are two different kinds of enterprise, but I occasionally use an RT.X2 system at a place where I work and though there are many reasons why I dislike it, the array of realtime effects is very handy, making Premiere respond in the same kind of way that FCP does.

As mentioned, colour correction is a big issue for me (and surely others!) because I want to do it in practically every timeline I create. What I would like to see, in realtime, is a collection of color tools, including Levels, Curves, HSL and so on. Matrox handily group all these together with a three-way too. The two plugins that come with Aspect do work well in their own way, but the controls are time-consuming to use and obviously they are quite simplistic.

Another item then:
> For JVC HD110 users, is it possible to fix the audio sync problem that precludes capturing a whole tape as a single file?
Graham Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:01 PM   #6
Major Player

I know it's not exactly what was meant by this thread, but my wish is to see a basic version of aspect bundled as an integrated part of the next version of PP.
Premiere is currently the only major editing software without a built in intermediate codec solution, and some of us cannot afford purchasing cineform just yet.
Adobe has already done thing like this in the past, like with the MainConcept plugin forming the basis for AME, and Keylight and Color Finesse being bundled with the pro version of AE.
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Version 1.5 of Premiere did just that -- I think the Cineform plug-in was what made the 1.5.1 update do HDV.

At least, that's how I learned about Cineform.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Date and time stamp on every scene when capturing with HD link :-)

Greetings!
Gildo Houtekamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #9
New Boot

Would there be further advantages to bundling the codec - eg, would Cineform get better support from Adobe in integrating code (if that's the way to put it)?

On the other hand, would it mean that updates would be less frequently available?
Graham Kay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase