After Effects - VFW or DirectShow? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 9th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

After Effects - VFW or DirectShow?

Does After Effects (CS3 on XP) use the VFW interface when it renders Cineform files? My rendered files are on the big side and I figured it's because it uses the VFW interface instead of DirectShow.

If it does use VFW, is there a way to get it to use DirectShow so I can save some disk space?

Thanks!

- Rick
Rick Thornquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I think I found the cause. The rendered file used the High HD Optimized setting where the source file used the Medium HD setting. I assume that using the High HD Optimized setting creates much larger files.

- Rick
Rick Thornquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes, you've got it. Also you can choose to output via VFW or Directshow in AE. The output module "CineForm AVI" is using DShow, and you can also select a Video for Windows output module. Note: The VFW under AE, is limited to less then 2GB files, not such limitation with the CineForm output module.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase