Hdcam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 21st, 2008, 08:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Hdcam

OK, I'm a true Cineform believer.
With XDCAM (any flavour) and with anything HD but initially going to SD I go straight to Cineform.

We've just conformed a feature shot in HDCAM (1080/25p) and conformed in HDCAM. So now I have 90 mins of Blackmagic uncompressed HD on my RAID ready for colour correction and Magic Bulleting and so on. Obviously Cineform is going to ask much less of the hardware and will generally be much more convenient. I'm just lacking that extra little bit of confidence to ditch the uncompressed footage and go all the way with Prospect HD - since we're planning on at least some theatrical exposure. In a tradeoff between that last bit of quality and the extra time, I'd go for the quality.

What does everyone think?

Ian
Ian Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Mike, a couple comments about CineForm quality. First, we exceed the visual quality of HDCam SR which is the mainstay of the feature film industry. This is not questioned by anybody, including Hollywood. Here's one of the posted visual quality analyses: 12-bit CineForm 444 Quality Analysis

Second, color processing with your Blackmagic files will be at 8 bits. So if you do any stretching of the images you have a greater chance of banding. If you convert your footage first to CineForm files they become 10 bits so any stretching of the image in post has 4 level steps between each step at 8 bits which virtually eliminates the possibility of banding.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:23 AM   #3
Trustee

Based on my own tests, there is no discernible quality hit when you go from uncompressed to Cineform High HD, even with greenscreen work.

Check out the video I just finished for Moby. All done in CFHD, with tons of greenscreen visual effects:

http://primehd.com/phdvideo.htm

And, you are saving tons of storage space and processing time by going to ProspectHD.

So I'd say, do your tests on critical portions of your video, and make a decision for yourself.

Last edited by Alex Raskin; August 21st, 2008 at 11:47 AM.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:31 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Several ways to look at this problem.

1) Many features have and continue to be finished in increasing numbers using CineForm. So you are not on new ground.

2) Compression in general is often used in the finishing process, many using HDCAM-SR in the DI through color correction, and for delivery for filmout (as a cost saving over DPX.) CineForm in either Filmscan mode is test to have more quality than HDCAM-SR.

3) Your source was originally compressed as HDCAM, not as good a HDCAM-SR, so are you really trying to protect an uncompressed source. Only if you camera(s) where directly capturing via HDSDI to onset RAID would you have a try uncompressed source, in that case re-read items 1 & 2.

:)
Old August 21st, 2008, 11:42 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Based on quality tests that we have done at our post, we found CF raw to CFHD in highest quality setting to exceed QT uncompressed of the same sequence, with files size extraordinarily smaller. Obviously, these were layman tests that we did within AE. But something to think about...
Bhaskar Dhungana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks very much. Very helpful and encouraging.
Ian
Old August 29th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #7
Regular Crew

follow-up

I thought this might be an interesting follow-up: one of our (HDCAM) scenes was filmed in a cellar with only a tiny amount of light, and that's when we noticed a single pixel stuck on bright green on the camera. It's easy to get rid of it in the edit by making a single-pixel black matte in Photoshop. But the point of this is, that this single bright green pixel is still there after Cineform has compressed the footage - visually lossless indeed.
Ian
Old August 29th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Lewis View Post
I thought this might be an interesting follow-up: one of our (HDCAM) scenes was filmed in a cellar with only a tiny amount of light, and that's when we noticed a single pixel stuck on bright green on the camera. It's easy to get rid of it in the edit by making a single-pixel black matte in Photoshop. But the point of this is, that this single bright green pixel is still there after Cineform has compressed the footage - visually lossless indeed.
Ian
Visually lossless for better or worse, huh?
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #9
Trustee

My Cineform Prospect HD license came with a warning: "For use on beautiful people only."

Kidding, kidding... ;)
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase