DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Missing audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/128543-missing-audio.html)

Rich Ellis August 22nd, 2008 08:51 PM

Missing audio

Anybody ever convert AVCHD files (or anything else) into Cineform AVI using HDLink, and then find the output files look great but have no audio track? This is happening with input files from two different camcorders, using a trial of Neo HD I just downloaded this evening.

I've opened a support ticket, but it is Friday night, and I wouldn't expect anybody to see it until Monday. Thought I'd mention it here just in case.

Roger Averdahl August 24th, 2008 12:59 PM

Rich, i have the same issue when converting AVCHD footage from the not-yet released Panasonic HMC-150. I get only video, no audio. Maybe thats the reason, that the camera is so new?

For me the frame rates in the converted clips are off as well. For example 59.94 fps becomes 29.97 fps when they have been converted by HDLink.

David Newman August 24th, 2008 01:52 PM

Missing audio likely means you don't have the required audio decoder installed. A good test is playback in Media Player, do you get audio there?

I doubt a 1080p camera is shooting 59.94, so 29.97 is probably correct. If you have 720p59.94 coming out at half rate, let us please have a sample file.

Rich Ellis August 24th, 2008 02:35 PM

The original AVCHD files work fine in both Media Player and on the Vegas 8 timeline. It's only after converting into Cineform that they become silent.

Before I rebuilt my system (which is now 64-bit Vista), I was on XP SP2, and I could convert the exact same files using trial Neo HD with no problems. So I don't think it's the files themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just something not installed or not configured correctly. I don't know how to identify the problem though.

For whatever it's worth, files I converted into Cineform before replacing the OS can be played back fine, audio included.

The codec I'm using is CoreAVC Pro 1.7.0.

David Newman August 24th, 2008 03:26 PM

Definitely missing an audio decoder. File a ticket with support they will point you in the right direction.

Rich Ellis August 24th, 2008 03:31 PM

I already filed a ticket, and I'll be closing it shortly. You got me looking around for "HF100 audio codec" and somehow I was led to a program called AC3Filter, which I installed, and now everything seems to be working.

Never installed that program on XP. Something else must have been on there that took its place. Guess I'll never find out what it was.

Thanks for the tip!

David Newman August 24th, 2008 03:36 PM

Thanks for the update, and I happy to hear all is working now.

Roger Averdahl August 25th, 2008 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 924282)
Missing audio likely means you don't have the required audio decoder installed. A good test is playback in Media Player, do you get audio there?

I doubt a 1080p camera is shooting 59.94, so 29.97 is probably correct. If you have 720p59.94 coming out at half rate, let us please have a sample file.

O.k, i will check the audio decoder. :)

However, i cannot hear any audio in Windows Media Player and if i open up any of the converted files in Adobe Audition there is no audio, no audio curves, either. I used the Insert > Audio from Video command in the Multitrack View.

For me 1080/24p and 720/24p comes in as 11.99 fps and 720/60p comes in as 29.97 in Premiere Pro CS3.2 when i convert the files with HDLink that i installed as a trial. (ProspectHD-3.4.0.174-Setup.exe)
Update: The files play back at half their frame rate in Windows Media Player as well.

Sample files:
Index of /~dvxuser/PRIVATE/AVCHD/BDMV/STREAM

Description:
1080/24p: 00002.MTS, 00004.MTS
720/60p: 00013.MTS, 00015.MTS, 00019.MTS, 00087.MTS, 00095.MTS
720/24p: 00025.MTS, 00032.MTS, 00074.MTS

David Newman August 25th, 2008 08:58 AM

All the clips converted perfectly. So must have some filters on within HDLink Prefs. Make sure rate change is set to "no change." So the audio set is with the source MTS files, see if they play audio in Media Player -- I think you are still missing an audio filter.

Try AC3Filter | AC3Filter the audio filter Rich Ellis suggested, then convert again.

Roger Averdahl August 25th, 2008 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 924564)
All the clips converted perfectly. So must have some filters on within HDLink Prefs. Make sure rate change is set to "no change." So the audio set is with the source MTS files, see if they play audio in Media Player -- I think you are still missing an audio filter.

Try AC3Filter | AC3Filter the audio filter Rich Ellis suggested, then convert again.

I have installed AC3Filter but the files still have no audio and the framerate is divided in half, 720p 60 becomes 720p 30.

I attached a picture of my Preferences in HDLink.

Btw, i am using Win XP x64, could that be the problem? I will probably install Cineform Prospect HD on my laptop tonight. OS on my laptop is Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

David Newman August 25th, 2008 10:57 AM

Audio in Media Player when playing MTS files directly? This is the key. Frame rate issues are likely due to your AVCHD video decoder. Once you can play you source with out issue, it will convert correction. So you need to contact support.

Rich Ellis August 25th, 2008 11:25 AM

What video codec are you using for the AVCHD Roger? Have you installed anything specific for the purpose (like CoreAVC)?

If you play one of the MTS clips in Media Player, pause it, and then view the properties for the file, it should tell you which codecs it's using for video and audio. In my case, audio was just a dash (meaning "none"), and video was CoreAVC's CoreCodec.

Roger Averdahl August 26th, 2008 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 924617)
Audio in Media Player when playing MTS files directly? This is the key. Frame rate issues are likely due to your AVCHD video decoder. Once you can play you source with out issue, it will convert correction. So you need to contact support.

David, it dont play back correctly in MP. No audio and half frame rate. The files play back correctly in Cyberlink Power DVD8 though.

For the moment i give up, i dont have the time for trial and error right now, i cannot use my Intensity card for preview, i dont have the camera yet. Hopefully the camera is delivered with codecs that MP uses and hopefully the files convert properly. :)

Can we expect that Cineform Prospect HD will work "out of the box" with AVCHD files in the future, without the need for installing additional codecs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ellis (Post 924617)
What video codec are you using for the AVCHD Roger? Have you installed anything specific for the purpose (like CoreAVC)?

If you play one of the MTS clips in Media Player, pause it, and then view the properties for the file, it should tell you which codecs it's using for video and audio. In my case, audio was just a dash (meaning "none"), and video was CoreAVC's CoreCodec.

Rich, the video codec MP uses is Nero Video Decoder. For audio there is a dash on my system as well eventhough AC3Filter is installed. I did install Cyberlink Power DVD8 and the files play back the files correctly in Cyberlink Power DVD8.

Rich Ellis August 26th, 2008 12:31 PM

This isn't my area of expertise... but I think you're going to need to find out more details about the format the camera used to create the files. I Googled the camera, it says AVCHD, but the truth is that "AVCHD" leaves some wiggle room. There are details that can differ from one camera to another. Example: Vegas was able to read Sony AVCHD camcorder files before it was able to read Canon AVCHD files.

Cineform is a codec for reading and writing a particular data format (the Cineform format), and their products include utilities to get video and audio into that format. HDLink's job is to take video and audio that the system knows how to read, and write it to a Cineform file. Your computer must already be able to read the original file or HDLink won't be able to get to the data.

In order to read the original file, you need video and audio codecs that can understand the streams. If Media Player is using Nero for video and shows a dash for audio, that means it was not able to determine an audio codec to use; and it was probably using Nero as a "best guess" for which video codec to use. Which probably means you do not have an ideal codec for either stream installed.

I've had pretty good results with CoreAVC's video codec. I had to buy it for $15, specifically for this purpose. I don't know if it will work for the HMC-150. AC3Filter works for my camcorder's files because they contain audio in standard AC3 format. But if AC3Filter is not working for your camera's audio then I think you're stuck until you can find out exactly which format the audio uses.

Edit: Some programs that have the ability to play video and/or audio from a file will keep it to themselves. Vegas 8.0b can play my Canon's AVCHD files but installing Vegas does not necessarily grant Media Player (and thus the computer at large) the ability to do so. Likewise, Power DVD may keep its own codecs to itself. This is sometimes for licensing, sometimes for competition. You need codecs that are available system-wide.

Hopefully I haven't just put my own newbieness to this stuff up on a billboard for Mars to see.

Roger Averdahl August 29th, 2008 10:14 AM

Rich, thanks for the explanation! :)