DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Premiere playback just stopping mid way through (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/128723-premiere-playback-just-stopping-mid-way-through.html)

Paul Curtis August 26th, 2008 01:46 AM

Premiere playback just stopping mid way through

This is an odd one, it's cropped up recently and everything was working fine. Im still trying to track down what's changed or happened but i thought id throw this out there incase someone else has seen something similar.

Using prospect latest version (upgraded yesterday to see if that was the problem).

Have a big project all prospect files. Hit play on the main time line and everything plays then just stops. It always stops at the same point. If i hit play again it might play a couple of frames but stop again. If i move the timeline ahead further manually and play then it may place again for a while.

I've removed all preview and rendered files, opened the project in a new project etc,. Cleaned everything i can think of.

The cause might have been moving the same files from one machine to another i think. Some of those files had work done on the audio streams and then the files were resaved (in audtion - no video encoding just mixing the audio down).

Is there any way i can understand what Prospect might be doing, can i get debug or information out of it to see if there's an error?

anyone seen anything similar?

thanks
paul

Paul Curtis August 26th, 2008 06:20 AM

Replying to self, first sign of madness...

I narrowed it down to a prospect file that has had it's audio replaced. It playing on the PC that did the work but not on mine. I suspect there's something up with it

The stopping on the timeline was before premier was about to play the section. So where it stopped depended on how far the program was caching the next clips ready to play, hence the confusion about why it seemed to be stopping in odd places.

So a question (which'll i'll need to post in another forum).

How can i replace the audio in a prospect file without reencoding the video. The audio is a replace from onboard camera audio to a proper audio set up. So it's like for like in terms of time.

We've tried audition which *seems* to allow it but it doesn't really. It's done something to the files that is screwing up premiere.

Soundbooth sort of does it but it re-encodes the video which i'd rather it not do.

Is there something else that can do this?

cheers
paul

Stephen Armour August 26th, 2008 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Curtis (Post 924994)
Replying to self, first sign of madness...

I narrowed it down to a prospect file that has had it's audio replaced. It playing on the PC that did the work but not on mine. I suspect there's something up with it

The stopping on the timeline was before premier was about to play the section. So where it stopped depended on how far the program was caching the next clips ready to play, hence the confusion about why it seemed to be stopping in odd places.

So a question (which'll i'll need to post in another forum).

How can i replace the audio in a prospect file without reencoding the video. The audio is a replace from onboard camera audio to a proper audio set up. So it's like for like in terms of time.

We've tried audition which *seems* to allow it but it doesn't really. It's done something to the files that is screwing up premiere.

Soundbooth sort of does it but it re-encodes the video which i'd rather it not do.

Is there something else that can do this?

cheers
paul

Paul have you tried to import JUST the audio from the original video file and looking at it in Audition? You should be able to extract it easily if it's not damaged. Then it's just a matter of lining up the two wave files in Premiere and unlinking the one giving probs, deleting it and using the extracted one from Audition. Soundbooth sucks. Use Audition, it's light years better

The audio can be relinked to that video in Premiere no prob. Unless I'm missunderstanding your question?... One more thing, be sure to click ON the "save extra information" box in Audition so it saves info important for video sync.

Paul Curtis August 27th, 2008 04:09 AM

Stephen,

I have a lot of clips and subclips and doing a manual replace of the audio is not feasible.

I've managed to sucessfully swap audio using virtualdub in a way that seems to work fine with prospect and premiere.

If i use audition though (v3) then the files that it produces do not work, even in windows media player. The only way i could see to get the avi back out of audition is the Export movie (which states that the video will not be re-encoded).

You're mentioning a 'save extra information' so that has me interested because i don't have that. How are you exporting the movies from audition then? Perhaps im missing something.

thanks
paul

Stephen Armour August 27th, 2008 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Curtis (Post 925490)
Stephen,

I have a lot of clips and subclips and doing a manual replace of the audio is not feasible.

I've managed to sucessfully swap audio using virtualdub in a way that seems to work fine with prospect and premiere.

If i use audition though (v3) then the files that it produces do not work, even in windows media player. The only way i could see to get the avi back out of audition is the Export movie (which states that the video will not be re-encoded).

You're mentioning a 'save extra information' so that has me interested because i don't have that. How are you exporting the movies from audition then? Perhaps im missing something.

thanks
paul

Hi Paul. I wasn't suggesting saving the AVI, but only the extracted audio to allow you to check it for defects. When you "save" or "Save Copy As" (from the Audition 3 edit window, not the multitrack session), on the bottom left is a little checkbox that says "Save extra non-audio information". Here's some info from the help file of what it seems to do:
Select Save Extra Non‑Audio Information to preserve markers and file information, such as loop and Broadcast Wave metadata.
Note: Deselect this option only when you will use another application to burn the file to CD. Some CD‑recording applications misinterpret non‑audio information (such as markers and metadata), producing an unpleasant burst of noise at the beginning of each track.
Doesn't sound like this will be of much help to you, but for what it's worth...for more info on it, look in the Audition Help file under "Add audio file information" and you'll see quite a bit of stuff that's included in it, including SMPTE frame rate info, metafile data, etc.

Also, don't know if it's significant but it says very clearly:
The Broadcast Wave tab of the File Info dialog box lets you view and edit metadata for broadcast applications.
Important: To include Broadcast Wave metadata in a file, you must save in Windows PCM (.wav) format and select the Save Extra Non‑Audio Information option. For more information, see Save audio files individually.

Include BWF Data When Saving To .Wav
Specifies that you want to include Broadcast Wave metadata when you save the file in Windows PCM (.wav) format. You must select this option in order to edit any of the other options. If you deselect this option, Adobe Audition deletes all Broadcast Wave metadata associated with the file when you click OK to close the dialog box.
Hope you resolve your probs.