Can NEO help with this? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 8th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #1
Trustee

Can NEO help with this?

I have some Vegas uncompressed DV AVI files that I up-rezzed in After Effects using Red Giant's Instant HD Advanced.

The files are now huge, as they are uncompressed HD (15 minutes = app. 80GB). Can I convert them to a smaller file size using NEO so I can then edit in Vegas?
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes, NEO allows you to expect directly from AE into a CineForm AVI that plays in Vegas.
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #3
Tourist

I recommend to download a trial version first and try it if works correctly for you.

I'm using Aspect HD and it works otherwise fine but exporting large Cineform AVI file from AE results a crash every single time. Short files can be exported without any problems. I've have filled ticked but haven't heard anything from Cineform for two weeks so I guess (hope) they are looking for it if is a specific for me or more common problem.

Matti
Matti Wallden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #4
Major Player

It never hurts to download and test the demo, but ... I can't say if Aspect HD or NEO HD generate errors with large files, but with NEO HDV, using "Render as ... Cineform avi" in After Effects, with big files, everything works fine in Vista x64. I wonder what the definition of "big" is? In any case, you can just convert your uncompressed avi files to Cineform using HDLink directly. You don't need to go back into AE and do anything.

Does Aspect HD even add anything useful to After Effects (other than making available the CFHD codec to AE)? I thought that is was designed to solely improve performance from within Adobe Premiere and that's the difference from the NEO packages.

Last edited by Jay Bloomfield; September 8th, 2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: typo
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

After Effects is limited to 2GB export if you don't use the CineForm output module. Selecting "Video for Window" and the CineForm compressor is not the same, that is limited by AE's old AVI file writer. Matti, this is likely your issue. The Output Module inside the render queue is call "CineForm AVI", it supports trillion+ colors (PHD/4K and NEO HD/4K) and can produce much larger than 2GB files (I haven't found the limit yet.)
Old October 17th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew

im crashing export instant hd from ae with cineform too

I have a 40min dv that I'm trying to export (via render que) from ae cs3 with instant hd advanced. Using cineform avi. instant settings= dv 16:9 1.2 to 1440x1080 (to match the hd footage from hg10 in premiere pro project). get ~1.5gb or 2.5 gb and locks up. purging ram each 20 frames. 2gb mem. winxp 32bit, q6600 cpu. quadro fx 3000 agp card.

Any thoughts? btw is it ~right that 40min footage should take ~38hs est render?
Can I get the same results by just importing the dv into hdlink and exporting 1440x1080?

thanks,
Jack
Jack Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:51 AM   #7
Regular Crew

cont

I tried everything the same except 10 min from the middle instead of the whole 40. It worked fine. Also, just upscaling thru hdlink isn't even close. Also upgraded video driver to most recent. and decrease ram purge to 5 frames instead of 20 whatever that does? guess I'll just have to piece meal it.
Jack Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #8
Tourist

Update

In my case there are two ways to deal this:
1) If you have enough free space on your computer export it from AE as uncompressed AVI and import this to Premiere project and then export it as Cineform AVI.
2) Try to export as smaller pieces. In my case crashing is random so smaller clips are more often succesfully exported from AE.

My support ticket is still open and support is trying to reproduce problem so there is some hope left.

Matti
Matti Wallden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase