Cineform & FCP Color at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 18th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cineform & FCP Color

Hi,
I have alot of work in captured on a pc using the Cineform codec from various Sony HDV cams.

I would like to work on them on a Mac using FCP Studio 2 and its Color application.

I could not send the files to Color and after some reading I found that Cineform codec is not supported in Color.

What should I do? I tried batch exporting a clip from FCP with Apple Prores but it looks washed out compared with the original Cineform codec.

I am sure others have encountered this problem but I searched and could not find an answer.

thanks.
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Washed Out = FCP/QT Gamma issues. While FCP render with render from CineForm to ProRES with out issue, you may have issues with the way you are batching the images. To preserve quality and gamma with recommend the 32-bit float pixel format for such conversions.
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

hi,
I beleive I am exporting using 32 bit float.
The thing is that clip with cineform is more 'contrasty' whereas the prores clip has less contrast.
FCP is telling me that is converting cineform to prores without recompessing. Which I don't really beleive.
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I'm not on the Mac side of things, but I do agree the "cineform to prores without recompessing" is wrong. If you use a CineForm configured sequence and export to PRoRES you shouldn't see any color or gamma change, those changed only occur if 8-bit RGB is used (which Mac offer assume a wrong 1.8 gamma.) If you submit a trouble ticket, a Mac based engineer will try to offer pointers. Although this is the sort of question ideal for the forum, so anyone please jump in.
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks.

I assume that alot of users of Cineform and FCP would want to use Color so how do you get a clip based on the Cineform codec into Color?
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:23 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
(which Mac offer assume a wrong 1.8 gamma.)
What gamma should be used?
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Video gamma is 2.2. The use of Color is any issue until they get the bugs out and make it support generic Quicktime codec. CineForm customers use anything else, MagicBullet, AE, SpeedGrade, whatever supports Quicktime codecs.
Old September 18th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Yeh but that means: Buying Cineform codec, buying FCP and then buying say Magic Bullet....

If i had simply captured in FCP to Prores in the first place I would have had none of these issues and saved money. Whilst in theory the Cineform codec may offer advantages in this case it is just causing me a headache.

I can't believe there is not a decent method for converting Cineform clips so Color can use them.
Old September 18th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #9
Major Player

Brendan, we have "yelled" at Apple about this. I suggest you do too. The problem is that Color does not use QuickTime for codec support. Any codec that is supported is literally compiled in.

In fairness Apple has acknowledged the problem, but they didn't commit to when it would be fixed. We brought it to their attention over a year ago.
David Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase