Timeline reference with Cineform at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 21st, 2008, 09:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew
Timeline reference with Cineform

Looking to add an HD color reference monitor to my CS3 + Aspect HD setup, but it doesn't look like Cineform supports the Blackmagic cards.

Editing HDV so no need for SDI. Current video card is an Nvidia GeForce 7600GT - has DVI digital (taken by 23" LCD) + open DVI analog port; doubt that a DVI analog to component cable into an HDTV would magically achieve this... if I could be so lucky.

Any Aspect users find an affordable external monitoring solution? Must I upgrade to Prospect?

If so, would the most affordable solution be the AJA Xena LS ($850) (+ Prospect upgrade)?

Thanks all!
Kevin Shahinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #2
Major Player
Great question. I would also like to know what options are out there.

Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #3
Major Player
One solution that will definitely work is the XenaLH plus Prospect. The LH is a more expensive HiDef version of the LS, and has both component and SDI outputs in HD and SD.

A totally different method that MAY work would be to use AspectHD's video overlay option with a regular video card. Nvidia disabled this feature on all of their cards ever since the 8800 drivers were released, but ATI may still offer this functionality. Getting a new GPU card is a way cheaper option, and if you get a new one that supports HDMI out, you may have a pure digital connection all the way to your HDTV. I am not an ATI fan at all, so once Nvidia removed support for the variation of overlay that Cineform had implemented, I considered it totally gone, but I believe it will still work with ATI hardware. Native Premiere uses a different type of overlay, that still works on Nvidia cards, but not with the smooth performance that Cineform's overlay provides.

Also calibrating the colors on an SDI output from a Xena card should be much easier and more consistent, but should also be possible with the GPU output.
For more information on these topics, check out my tech website at www.hd4pc.com
Mike McCarthy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase