Installing Prospect w CS3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 22nd, 2008, 03:02 AM   #1
Major Player

Installing Prospect w CS3

I have PPro 1.5.1 and use Cineform Prospect. I just purchased CS3 with upgrade to CS4. Any special precautions-things to watch out for going from PPro 1.5 to CS3? I would like to just uninstall my old version, do a clean boot, and then install the CS3 suite. Will this screw up my Prospect installation?
I see on this forum that my Prospect won't work with CS4. What is the cost to upgrade to the new CS4 compatible version (when it comes out), and will the new Prospect still work with Sony Vegas 8?
Thanks, Paul
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Paul, I recommend that you uninstall PHD prior to uninstalling PPro 1.5 (do NOT deactivate). Then after you install CS3 you can reinstall PHD. Your activation for PHD should be recognized without a problem.

We haven't announced details of our upgrade to CS4 (including pricing) but in the past our upgrades have been in the range of around 20% to 25% of the original purchase price for the upgrade. We'll have more details about this in the coming weeks. Yes, Prospect should continue to work with Vegas.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 04:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
Hi Paul, I recommend that you uninstall PHD prior to uninstalling PPro 1.5 (do NOT deactivate). Then after you install CS3 you can reinstall PHD. Your activation for PHD should be recognized without a problem.

We haven't announced details of our upgrade to CS4 (including pricing) but in the past our upgrades have been in the range of around 20% to 25% of the original purchase price for the upgrade. We'll have more details about this in the coming weeks. Yes, Prospect should continue to work with Vegas.
Thanks David for the quick response.
It's always a bit nerve racking, as many of these software upgrades are picky about being done in just the right sequence, so that is just why I wanted to be sure I didn't do something to screw things up.
So do I understand you correctly; The new upgrade to the CS4 compatible version of Prospect will work with Vegas 8 ? (i.e. I won't need to keep the old version for Vegas). Thanks. I'm looking foreward to upgrading to the CS4 version of Prospect.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 10:28 PM   #4
Major Player

Yes Paul, we would expect that the new version of PHD for CS4 should continue to work with the 32-bit version of Vegas. The newer 64-bit version of Vegas currently requires a 64-bit version of our codec which we don't have yet.
Old October 27th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
Yes Paul, we would expect that the new version of PHD for CS4 should continue to work with the 32-bit version of Vegas. The newer 64-bit version of Vegas currently requires a 64-bit version of our codec which we don't have yet.
Thanks David,
I'm still using XP pro, so I haven't tried the 64 bit version of Vegas. I will be switching to a 64 bit system just a soon as the overall feedback here on the forum is good. What's your opinion of it?

I assume Adobe will eventually go 64 bit as well. As it currently stands, will there be a version of Cineform that will work with both 64 bit Vegas and CS4? I tend to mostly use Vegas, so I don't want to loose the compatibility. Thanks - Paul
Old October 27th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #6
Major Player

I suspect when we do a 64-bit version it will also work with both PPro and Vegas - there's no reason it shouldn't. But we don't have a schedule yet.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 02:31 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for your Help, David. I uninstalled Adobe PPro 1.5.1 and CF Prospect. Then I installed the CS3 suite. In my eagerness to see the new version, I started PPro CS3 and loaded an old PPro 1.5 project. It looked great, and I was able to set up display on my secondary monitor. After that, I realized that I had no yet installed Prospect. After installing Prospect, I started a new project. No secondary display. Now, when I go into the preference menu? ( I'm away on the road right now, so I don't remember the name of the dropdown menu - sorry), I click on playback setting, and I just get the large Cineform settings panel. This seems to block the native CS3 options here. Is there a work around this? Cause, I'd really like to have my 2nd monitor :) Thanks for you help - PK
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #8
Major Player

My Question is:

How do I enable my second monitor with CF Prospect installed?

When I installed CS3, I was able to click on playback settings, and a drop down box had "windows 2nd monitor" in it. I was able to enjoy using my nice large 2nd monitor to preview my edits, transitons, cc, etc.

After I installed Prospect, clicking that same "playback setting" box results in a large Cineform pop-up screen with various settings, but none of them are for enabling a 2nd monitor. My video card is a Nvida 7800GT with dual DVI out's plus HDTV out.

It is not a hardware issue as I am able to use dual monitors with Sony Vegas, and with CS3 before I installed CF Prospect. I would really like to get this setup fixed asap. Thanks in advance for any helpful ideas.
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Short answer is, you can't. Many threads on this here and elsewhere.

Here's one:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-...level-bug.html

Search for "overlay" in all the editing forums and I bet you'll find the others.

Cineform's workaround is, if I recall correctly, to just enable a stretched workspace over both monitors and undock your program monitor, drag it to the second monitor and drag the corners until it fills your second monitor.

I got a Quadro FX for my system rather than the GeForce because of this problem, although at the time the problem was limited to the 8000 series. It now seems to have spread to their entire line as they issue driver "updates." Full screen output worked fine until NVidia updated their latest driver and removed full-screen output to the second monitor. See thread above for their explanation.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Adam.
I upgraded from PPro 1.5. Per instructions, I uninstalled both PPro and Cineform Prospect. Then I installed CS3. With just CS3 installed, I was able to play CF avi files and enable preivew on my second monitor by going into "playback settings" and selecting 2nd Windows monitor. I saved that project.
Then I installed Cineform Prospect, after which I was unable to select this option under "playback settings" on any NEW projects. The reason seems to be because when you click "playback settings" after installing Cineform, you get a Cineform selection menu that does NOT have a 2nd monitor option listed on it. This CF menu seems to cover the Premiere menu - (which had the preview on MS Windows 2nd display option on it).
Remember the project that I opened (and re-saved) on CS3 before installing CF Prospect? - I am STILL able to get preview on the second monitor on that project even after installing CF Prospect, I just can NOT select it for any projects created after installing CF. Clearly this is a Cineform issue, and one that I would think would be rather easy to fix - just let you see/select from the native Premier menu options on "playback settings.
Anyways, maybe I just don't understand this thing, but I appreciat the help and I will check out the link you kindly sent. Thanks again - PK
Old November 6th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Right, it's a Cineform issue, and one they don't seem particularly concerned about addressing, even though on its face it would appear to be a simple issue that more than a few people care about. The older project that works is probably set up under a Premiere preset, not Cineform. Even with Prospect installed, if you were to start a new project using a Premiere preset rather than a Prospect preset, I suspect you'd get full-screen playback on the second monitor just fine. NVidia doesn't support this but Premiere does, but Cineform removes that capability.

Cineform says they are card-agnostic, but as you'll find out from reading all those threads about this issue that this isn't really true. And despite asking many times what card they recommend, you'll see I never got a straight answer for any card under two grand.

I love Cineform and would never edit without it, but this is a really annoying issue for me.

Here are other threads that discuss this issue:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-...-aspecthd.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-...deo-cards.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-...dv-builds.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-...wish-list.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-...-5500-sdi.html
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #12
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Primarily it is engineering time to add a feature that was removed from us by NVidia. We currently working on CS4 support, AJA Xena2K and Blackmagic Intensity, along with many other items, just not enough engineering resources to add NVidia fixes to the plate when old drivers work and ATI is still fine. There are workarounds.
Old November 8th, 2008, 05:55 PM   #13
Major Player

Thanks Adam and David.

Just hard to believe (To someone who is not a software engineer), that it is not possible to send the Premiere monitor video out to the second monitor - hooked up as DVI-2 to my video card. The Aja cards looks expensive, and maybe a bit more then I need. The Black Magic Intensity Pro looks to be a bit more reasonable. Maybe when Cf supports those I'll pick one up. Thanks - PK
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase