Nasty sound when capturing at Medium quality at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old November 6th, 2008, 05:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Nasty sound when capturing at Medium quality

Hi,

Not sure if a current problem, but I captured the majority of my film's footage in late 2006 at Medium quality using HDLink.

After giving all the audio to the post production house (via a tricky export from Premiere in AAF, then import into Avid in order to export to OMF for Pro-Tools!), they said the audio was horrible... and yes, on their decent speakers, there was a nasty digital gurgling sound throughout (I cranked up my headphones back at home on my system, and I also heard it)

So I did a test re-capture at FilmScan1 a couple of months ago, and low and behold, this nasty sound was gone.

So - like I say, not sure it's a current problem, but just a heads up - the quality of capture you select in HDLink seems to alter the audio quality. Bizarre and a real headache for me (I had to spend a whole week re-capturing the footage from 40 tapes).

Cheers, Doug.
Old November 6th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quality has no impact of audio, the audio is stored uncompressed. The issue was likely something years ago when the wrong HDV audio decoder was used for some sources. No longer an issue.
Old November 6th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for clearing that up David.

So, if you captured your stuff a couple of years ago using HDLink - it's worth checking the audio out and maybe contemplate re-capturing if you get the audio gremlins I got!

Glad it's no longer an issue!
Old November 6th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Turner View Post
Thanks for clearing that up David.

So, if you captured your stuff a couple of years ago using HDLink - it's worth checking the audio out and maybe contemplate re-capturing if you get the audio gremlins I got!

Glad it's no longer an issue!
I think there was only a small window of time when there was a problem, but many years ago.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase