Vista X64, Premiere Pro CS3 & Aspect-HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old November 25th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Vista X64, Premiere Pro CS3 & Aspect-HD

I would like to make the switch to Vista X64. I just wanted to see what kind of success folks have had making this switch to Vista X64 using Premiere Pro CS3 with Aspect-HD.

Any advice?

Thanks
Old November 26th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

It works generally very well. Only issue still with Vista, is in HDLink connecting to some HDV cameras via firewire, support would know more if this issue remains. All editing and file based conversion are fine under Vista.
Old November 26th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks David.

I capture HDV from my Canon XL H1 via firewire to Aspect-HD. Have there been any X64 issues capturing to Cineform with this camera?

Thanks again!

Happy Thanksgiving...
Old November 26th, 2008, 02:01 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The issue is with HDLink capture, so capturing is Aspect HD under Premiere shouldn't be an issue.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:30 AM   #5
Major Player

I upgraded to vista Ultimate 64 a few weeks ago with 8 GB RAM. So far it seems way more stable than XP ever was, it has not crashed during rendering yet. I have had some wierd buggy issues to work out that I am still working on. Import issues with older CF projects were a major issue, but I was having this with the older XP installation. The system seems to run a tad slower with Vista 64 but it's much more stable over all/

I will report back after a few weeks when I iron out all the bugs. My advice is to make a dual boot and keep your existing installation, run a trial copy of Vista before purchase to make sure all your hardware is supported. Also vista really needs tweaking badly as there is so much garbage that is installed with it. These sites are great for tweaking.

TweakHound - Tweak & Optimize Windows Vista

Windows Vista - Reset Services to Default (registry files)
(have multiple .reg files you can download to disable unwanted services)

Also make sure you install SP1.
Once you get a stable workflow I would advise you ghost the O/S drive (Symantec Ghost 14 is supported with Vista 64)
Rich Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #6
Major Player

Hey Rich!

I just noticed we both live in NH. I'm down in Exeter.

Thanks for the post. I just got my machine up and running on Vista 64 Ultimate. I've only played around with it for a few hours. So far I have not crashed during a render or encoding. I've had two crashes while using a plugin called "Neat Video". Neat video is a noise filter that I use a lot. I've written to the company to see if perhaps there are 64 bit issues with the software.

I set my four 250 Gig drives to RAID 10. Again, no issues so far. I'm tyring to get better performance out of my system. (i.e. would like some more speed). Check out my post in the world of premiere. Perhaps you can help.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attend-wo...e-pro-cs3.html

Thanks again!
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:08 PM   #7
New Boot

Rich, I am currently in the process of converting to Vista 64 but am unable to have any of my nle applications capture hdv footage from my xha1. SD footage works but no luck with hdv. Would you suspect it's my graphics card?.

8 GB RAM, ati radeon 3450 HD, quad core 8200...
Philip McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 05:55 PM   #8
Major Player

Hey Tim,

I spent my honeymoon in Exeter NH before I moved up here, great town! - good to meet you! - checking out your post in the premier forum now.

Phillip, as far are your capture issue for Vista 64, I seem to remember some people had issues capturing (was posted here somewhere), I have not had a problem but I use cineform capture inside Premier and batch capture (instead of HDLINK). Have you tried capturing this way? does Vista recognise your A1 when you plug it in? - Sadly I had to sell my A1 so I can't test it out but it's fine with my HV30 and sees it as a camera when I plug it in. I doubt it's your graphics card, cineform should be able to help you on this.
Old December 9th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #9
Major Player

Rich,

Good to meet you too!
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:33 AM   #10
New Boot

Rich -

Have not myself attempted cineform capture as you have suggested. The Canon xha1 is recognized by TMPGEnc & Pinnacle, but neither will successfully capture in HDV. I have growing concern that perhaps this may be a present support issue with Canon.
Philip McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 05:01 AM   #11
Major Player

I would try caputing from within CS3 using a cineform template, just make sure it's setup correctly - If you are not using cineform, there are specific xha1 templates you can download from canon: Download Library - Canon USA Consumer Products

Hope that helps :)
Old December 15th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Prospect HDV capture

I run Prospect on Vista x64 with 8GB RAM and use a Sony VI camera. I can capture in HDLink but not inside Premier CS3. The camera dissapears when I set it up for HDV capture. I have had lots of problems after the Vista x64 upgrade especially after I installed CS4 to test it. DEP causes AE to crash or rather it did until I turned DEP to the minimum settings. Now although it says its crashed it doesn't. I cancel the dialogue box and AE keeps going.
Ray Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Parkes View Post
... DEP causes AE to crash or rather it did until I turned DEP to the minimum settings. Now although it says its crashed it doesn't. I cancel the dialogue box and AE keeps going.
After Effects spawns multiple copies of itself, each with a 2GB memory space, under Vista X64. This is done to take full advantage of all available RAM & CPU cores. In fact, the main version of AE does keep working, but the spawned copies are the ones killed by DEP. Supposedly this "bug" was fixed in CS4.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #14
New Boot

QuickTime 64?

Hi. I apologize if I am coming in late.

I just did a fresh install of Vista Ultimate 64 bit and Vegas 8.1. Now I am trying to download Apple Quicktime so I can use my .mov files, but Apple tells me that there is no 64-bit Quicktime. Vegas 8.1 does not want me to install the 32-bit.

It seems like I am dead in the water. Has anyone else faced this issue? Is there some workaround? Or what do I do?

Thank you,

Norman
Norman Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #15
New Boot

For what it's worth, I use Vista x64 (Quad-core 2.4Ghz, 4Gb ram), Premiere CS3, and import my little Canon HV30 footage with NeoScene directly and it works like a dream - removing pulldown, etc. and generating perfect CF AVI files - all in real-time. Cineform is such a great format.

Wolf

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase