Trouble with updating Mac Cineform at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old November 28th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #1
Major Player

Trouble with updating Mac Cineform

I like what Cineform has to offer, but I am more than frustrated every time I have to update the codec (and now with Neo HD). Every update kills my authentication and will not allow me to reauthorize without going through the mess of emails and requests (and rejects my original authentication codes). The latest status after updating Cineform stated this: "This application was deactivated, possibly due to changes in the computer time and date. Contact the vendor to reactivate this application." even though nothing changed except the update to Cineform.

I've had this problem from day one and regardless of the method (uninstall-reinstall, etc.) I've had this problem. I really wanted to try ReMaster (a different set of problems) but now my original Cineform Codec is unauthorized.

I know piracy is a huge problem and I understand the steps necessary to protect oneself, but given the large number of updates Cineform offers (which is great) this issue has to be addressed (going through the entire authenticator issue and requesting support every time I try to update is not only annoying but is non-productive as well). And I also get green watermark lines in the footage even though there is supposed to be a 15 day trial period. This time I didn't uninstall my Mac Codec (which was properly authorized) just to see if the update would recognize my legit copy of Cineform.

Secondly, the ReMaster issues I'm having is when trying to resample my DVCPro HD 1280x720 footage to 1920x1080. No matter what I select, the image ends up being 1920x668 or 1920x810 etc. I've tried Square pixels, 16:9, 4:3, Match Input, Center Crop, and Letterbox (Letterbox was the only option that outputted true 1920x1080 but that was because of the letterbox; the image inside was still wrong). I know I can process with ReMaster then resize in Quicktime Pro but this is quite a few steps to take to get a true 1920x1080 image (and I'm not really sure what is happening to the footage during the conversions). I know the Spatial Resampling is a new feature and I hope this gets straightened out in a newer update (and I hope I don't have to go through the all hoops to get Cineform to accept my license codes).

Sorry to rant, but as much as I like Cineform, the authentication process has to be easier for those who already purchased the product.

Todd
Todd Giglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Sorry, you've had some bad luck I think. Authentication shouldn't be changing between installs, work with support on that, because that is not happening under normal user upgrades.

The DVCPRO-HD upscale sounds like a bug. Re-Master is likely confused as 720p DVCPRO internally stored as 960x720, not 1280x720.
Old November 28th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Glad (I guess) that it's just me with the updating problems. I will contact support and hope to get this straightened out.

I think you are right about the bug and I think Cineform is seeing it incorrectly. Strange that the image resizing in ReMaster does show resizing to 1920x1080 (and does resize horizontally to 1920 but the vertical resizing is all off).

Thanks David for getting back to me so quickly.

Todd
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:27 AM   #4
Major Player

I am seeing this too. I submitted a support ticket for it the first time it happened, and now I have just updated again and it has happened again.
Brian Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:36 AM   #5
Major Player

The key seems to be in uninstalling it before you install the upgrade. If you dont, then when authenticator loses your license, it wont accept your response code no matter what.

If you uninstall first, then when you upgrade, even if it says your license has expired when you run authenticator, your response code should work when you put it in again.
Brian Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:50 PM   #6
Major Player

I've uninstalled and nothing. I just was emailed a new response and the license was accepted. But now Final Cut Pro crashes as soon as I try to export with the Cineform codec (hitting the Advanced button gives me the spinning ball, then crashes; tried numerous times and the same result).

Also ReMaster will not open any files (I can select them as if they would open, but nothing happens; the clips do not show up).

Frustrating.

Todd
Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:26 AM   #7
Major Player

Just downloaded the latest build (12-2) and ReMaster is showing clips but I'm still having trouble converting (especially with image resizing; DVCPro HD clips end up with the wrong aspect ratio 1920x810). FInal Cut Pro still crashes when trying to export. I wish I had the old Cineform codec... (I haven't had any luck with the NeoHD version).

Todd
Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:29 AM   #8
Major Player

Quicktime Pro crashes as well (when trying to export as a Cineform file).
Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:45 AM   #9
Major Player

I just downloaded CFHDCodec (from the Sept. build) and hopefully this will get me back to where I started...

Todd
Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:13 AM   #10
Major Player

Well, the CFHDCodec (by itself) works again. There are definitely problems with the latest NeoHD Mac build (hangs and crashes). For now I'll stick with just the encoder and wait to see what develops with NeoHD.

If anyone else has had success with NeoHD, please let me know (I'm really curious as to how ReMaster can aid in image resizing).

Todd
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:38 PM   #11
Major Player

Todd, we aren't hearing many reports of problems with Neo HD/4K for Mac. I don't discount that you have a problem, but it's probably a unique problem, so please work with support. It's best to file a ticket if you haven't already.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:05 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Todd, It sounds like you have a mismatch of some of the libraries. Functions have been added to the support libraries, and your description of how everything crashes is normally caused by the application - QT for instance - trying to call a non-existent function. Depending on the vintage of your previous version, the uninstall may or may not properly remove all the libraries. Before you install the update, run the uninstall script. You may need to manually remove some of the files. Make sure the /Library/Application Support/CineForm is removed. If you have a /Library/CineForm folder, remove that as well.

Try installing again. If it still crashes, look in the ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter folder (in your user library) for the log file that was generated when the application crashed and send that file to support.

David was right about the size change problem you had. The file is encoded as 960x720, but QuickTime reports the display size which is 1280x720. The spatial resampling takes into account the different pixel aspect ratios of the source and destination when resizing. Although QuickTime reported the file as 1280x720 which would have square pixels, it reports 4:3 pixel aspect ratio (1.333). 1080 * (3/4) is 810.
Craig Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 11:26 PM   #13
Major Player

Thanks Guys,

I will try filing a ticket with support, but first I will try Craig's suggestions (I had removed via uninstall, but I will try again and make sure all files are removed.

Craig, is there a work around with the DVCPro HD files? Can I manually select a size and have it properly encode to 1920x1080? Just curious.

Also, will spatial resampling help in uprezzing the footage?

Thanks again.

Todd
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I could not figure out a work-around for the DVCPro HD files with your version. The modules that changed for the fix are plug-ins, and total about 120K.

I converted from the DVCPro HD 1280(960)x720 to 1920x1080 and it does a good job.
Craig Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #15
Major Player

Hey Craig,

What plugins? And did you say they cost about 120g's? Wow.

I know Cineform is also aware of the way the DVCPro HD images are handled and read by Quicktime so I'm sure they will figure out a work around. They are really good with constant updates (though my system has caused problems with updating).

Again, I'm not sure if there is an advantage to resampling the image anyway.

Todd
Todd Giglio is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase