DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Shouldn't all SD DVDs be mastered as progressive? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/139093-shouldnt-all-sd-dvds-mastered-progressive.html)

Deniz Ahmet December 6th, 2008 05:02 PM

Shouldn't all SD DVDs be mastered as progressive?

As a high percentage of DVD players support progressive output, doesn't it make sense to always master a SD DVD as progressive? - If the DVD player does not support progressive I thought it would convert it to interlaced anyway. After all, you can toggle progressive on and off on most players - so the hardware must be doing something right?

Robert Young December 6th, 2008 08:27 PM

I've authored progressive DVDs that would not play in some older DVD players. You can present progessive imagery on DVD by using a progressive .avi and transcoding it to interlaced m2v and authoring as an ordinary 480i DVD.

Richard Leadbetter December 8th, 2008 06:58 AM

If your original source material is interlaced, then no, you shouldn't master as progressive scan regardless of the DVD player. If your source material is 24fps or 25fps, the DVD player is smart enough to deinterlace properly so long as you set the flag right on the original encode.

Bottom line: if your source is progressive, encode it as such, otherwise don't.

Idar Lettrem December 17th, 2008 02:33 AM

progressive ?

But how about sony's cineframe mode (applies to fx1,a1 , fx7)- should footage taken with this mode ON be interpreted as progressive or interlaced when importing through HDlink?
Cineforms suggestin on remove 3:2 pulldown in NOT appropriate as I've seen it.

David Newman December 17th, 2008 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idar Lettrem (Post 979576)
But how about sony's cineframe mode (applies to fx1,a1 , fx7)- should footage taken with this mode ON be interpreted as progressive or interlaced when importing through HDlink?

Cineframe modes are best handed as progressive.

Quote:

Cineforms suggestin on remove 3:2 pulldown in NOT appropriate as I've seen it.
Sorry I don't understand this part of the question. Remove pulldown is only used on sources that use pulldown, most of the 1080i cameras with 60i modes use pulldown (exceptions Canon A1, H1, G1.)

Idar Lettrem December 17th, 2008 04:27 PM

Thanks David.
On your last comment -- a few weeks ago I sent your tech support exactly the same question on how "cineframe mode footage" was supposed to be ingested.
This was the answer: "Use the remove 3-2 pulldown option and keep the frame format set to auomatic". Well - this doesn't work for me at least. Not usable at all.

Another matter :I just recently upgraded to prospect HD, dowload link not working for 24 hours, no reply from tech support, no activatrion code recieved. But order and transaction confirmed. Be sure! This is not what I expected.

David Newman December 17th, 2008 04:44 PM

Missing info.

What does "not usable at all" mean? Quality issues, frame rate issues, no output? As you are in a 25Hz county, you shouldn't using pulldown as that is for 60i to 24p, not for 50i to 25p. Is this likely the issue?

If the download in link broken, is that what you saying? We had a broken link in the first emails about a week ago, but that has been first, you should have got a bad link in the last few days. If that happen it is fixable, just download the PHD trail and activate that (the results are the same.) You don't get an activation code until you have installed and entered the system code (8 digit ID) is the registration page, then the registration is emailed to you. We can't automatically send out activations as we need information from your computer first.

The head of support has been unable to get into the office due to local flooding, so you have to make do with my help.

Idar Lettrem December 18th, 2008 01:13 AM

[QUOTE=David Newman;979952]A/ you shouldn't using pulldown as that is for 60i to 24p, not for 50i to 25p. Is this likely the issue?

B/ You don't get an activation code until you have installed and entered the system code (8 digit ID) is the registration page QUOTE]

A/ most probably .

B/I'll try to activate my trial when I', back from work later today