Remaster / EX1 Workflow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old December 21st, 2008, 10:35 AM   #1
Major Player

Remaster / EX1 Workflow

Hi,

I used to work off a Windows machine with Prospect HD/2K etc. And all I needed to do in HD Link was point to a folder and it would gather all my raw EX1 files and then I would point HD Link to a folder I wanted them converted to and it would do it.

Now, I'm on a Mac using Neo Mac and Remaster.

According to Cineform info, Neo Mac supports EX footage, but I can't figure out how to get Remaster to recognize the footage. All my mp4 clips are 'disabled' when I open up Remaster.

Is there any way to have Remaster do what HD Link did: Gather all files from a specific folder?

Please enlighten me.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 02:21 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi James, we need to add this to our ReMaster description - and I now will.

To support XDCam HD, you need to use a Sony utility called "XDCam Transfer". This replaces the native wrapper with an MOV wrapper that FCP (and CineForm) understand. In fact when you plug in your media, you can run the utility as you copy your media. The resulting MOV files are easily converted by ReMaster.

Here is the Sony page that hosts the XCDam Transfer utility: Sony | Micro Site - XDCAM

When I click on the link it tells me that I probably got to the page in error, but keep clicking through and the download becomes visible.

Good luck....
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 03:30 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks David,

I was hoping for an easier workflow like on the PC side where HD Link takes my native EX1 .mp4 files and converts them without me having to re-wrap them as MOV files.

Are there plans for that at all in the near future?

I hope so. Have to go through two steps to finally edit my footage eliminates all the joy out of tapeless workflow.

Does does Remaster work with Convergent Design files?
Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:52 PM   #4
Major Player

Re EX files on Mac: We certainly understand your preference to convert those files directly on Mac as we do on Windows. This work can be done, but we don't have a current plan for this.

Re Convergent Design file compatibility: We received an earlier file from Mike a couple months ago and it worked great on Windows. I think he was still tweaking the format slightly and he hasn't sent us any new files lately. If you have some files please give it a try. If not, if anybody has some Convergent Design files and can send one or two to us for testing please do so! It won't take us long to verify.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 06:15 PM   #5
Major Player

Well, I do hope CineForm decides to implement the 'native EX1' file option for Remaster.

I own Final Cut, but have stayed away from it because I can import the EX1 files directly into Premiere which saves me some time.

There are times, however, that I might need CineForm and would like to have an easier workflow.

I have the CD nanoFlash on order (early adopter) and will test with those files once I receive the device.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase