DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Cineform and Vegas 8.1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/140091-cineform-vegas-8-1-a.html)

Perrone Ford December 21st, 2008 05:36 PM

Cineform and Vegas 8.1

As I have now nearly moved all operations to Vegas 8.1 (much faster for me) I am curious what options if any I will have for Cineform support. I used Cineform happily in Version 7 and 8.0.

So what's the word?

Eugenia Loli-Queru December 21st, 2008 06:55 PM

You should still be able to access Cineform's NeoHD or Neo4k encoder/codec fine from within Vegas Pro 8.1, through their 32bit compatibility layer. Of course, some crashes might occur as it's new territory.

Perrone Ford December 21st, 2008 07:14 PM

I have a rather large corporate video project coming up, and ceashes will be the last thing I want to see. So I am hoping for something more stable. But I won't have budget to upgrade to Neo for a while yet, so hopefully, by the summer, something will be available.

Jay Bloomfield December 24th, 2008 09:05 PM

Here's an older thread on the subject. Nothing has changed, since then:

64 bit Cineform 3.x - The Digital Video Information Network

Perrone Ford December 24th, 2008 09:38 PM

Thanks Jay. Not sure how my search missed that thread.

Garrett Low January 1st, 2009 11:37 AM

OK, now I'm confused. I've been contemplating the move to Vegas 8.1 but can't seem to figure out if Cineform will actually work with it. So is there a simple answer? Will Neo HD work with Vegas 8.1 in 64bit mode?

Thanks,
Garrett

Perrone Ford January 1st, 2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Low (Post 987127)
OK, now I'm confused. I've been contemplating the move to Vegas 8.1 but can't seem to figure out if Cineform will actually work with it. So is there a simple answer? Will Neo HD work with Vegas 8.1 in 64bit mode?

Thanks,
Garrett

Simple answer: No.

David Newman January 1st, 2009 02:26 PM

Sony informed us that there was supposed to be a fall back mode to use 32-bit components yet that doesn't seem to be working for Video for Window codecs. 8.0c is fine, 8.1 is the issue.

Jay Bloomfield January 3rd, 2009 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 987199)
Sony informed us that there was supposed to be a fall back mode to use 32-bit components yet that doesn't seem to be working for Video for Window codecs. 8.0c is fine, 8.1 is the issue.

I'm taking a wild guess here, but the reason that the other 32 bit "built-in" codecs work is that they are accessed by the 32 bit FileIOSurrogate.exe, which is spawned by Vegas 8.1. CFHD doesn't work, because SCS used a 64 bit plugin aviplug.dll to read AVI files.

EDIT:Actually, I just checked this. If you use HDLink to rewrap the CFHD AVI file to CFHD MOV, it is read properly in Vegas 8.1.

Perrone Ford January 4th, 2009 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Bloomfield (Post 988364)
EDIT:Actually, I just checked this. If you use HDLink to rewrap the CFHD AVI file to CFHD MOV, it is read properly in Vegas 8.1.

Anything specific about this re-wrap? I don"t have an Hdlink, so could the re-wrap happen another way?

David Taylor January 4th, 2009 09:17 AM

Nice find Jay.

Perrone, HD Link is an external utility included with all CineForm products. On all products except Neo Scene it will rewrap a CineForm AVI to an MOV (or vice versa).

You could download Neo HD and use it in Trial mode to see how this works. We also have a Tech Note on our site about how to rewrap: AVI-MOV ReWrap.

Jay Bloomfield January 4th, 2009 01:31 PM

That makes up for me being right on only 2/3 of NEO predictions. BTW, you can also render out CFHD as MOV files with Vegas 8.1.

Perrone Ford January 4th, 2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Bloomfield (Post 988718)
BTW, you can also render out CFHD as MOV files with Vegas 8.1.

Yep, if you buy it.

Garrett Low January 4th, 2009 10:59 PM

So there is a way to get Vegas 8.1 and Cineform to play nice together. If this is indeed so maybe it's time for me to convert to 8.1. I have a project starting next week so I'll have to wait about a month before doing it. I wouldn't want to run into any glitches that would delay a project delivery. That should give enough time for others to try it and see if there are any other problems.

If anyone else has luck with the .mov solution please post and also posts on any other bugs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Garrett