Neo HD Trial Crashes on Canon 5D mk II Files - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 4th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #16
CTO, CineForm Inc.

When I convert multiple files that is not happening, so I will need any sample to see if it is source related. If would be cool to see what graphEdit shows.
Old January 4th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #17
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Found an audio clip to download. Issue is the malformed 44.1kHz 16-bit stereo that explains why there may be a difficultly connecting -- my audio device will not connect to it. Basically the mp4splitter is output to audio type "twos" which is not a PC audio format (Mac only) so that will to be fixed (pretty easy.) Have to check that out back at the office, but it is something that we can address in v4.
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #18
Major Player

Ok, thanks for looking into it. I installed CoreAVC on my clean system, ran the same batch of MOVs through HD Link and the batch completed successfully. In fact, I watched the Task Manager and the swap file began at 250MB and never went above 540MB... much better than the 2.5GB on the other system. So, it seems there is *something* on the other installation which is screwing things up (other than the mp4splitter.ax problem). Maybe it's the antivirus software or anti-spyware software. I'll disable them both and check again.

I don't know what graphEdit is, or how to use it, but would be more than happy to try it out, if that helps any.

Julian
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #19
Major Player

MP4Split. That's the problem. I unregistered it and re-ran the batch job to convert all 24 MOV files. I watched the Task Manager and the Windows page file went from about 800Mb to 933MB, but no further. The entire batch converted fine (still no audio, though).

I then deleted all the converted files and re-ran the batch. Part way through the batch, I re-registered MP4Splitter and, starting with the next file to be converted, the page file usage began to grow in the same way as before. The page file grew with each successive conversion. While the batch was still running, I unregistered MP4Splitter and the page file usage plateaued until the batch ended.

Julian
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #20
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Good investigation. The mp4splitter is what I was using, and not seeing a memory leak, but clearly it seems to be doing something wrong on your PC. The GraphEdit stuff I will not need now, as I have confirmed it is Mac audio that is not being correctly interpretted on the PC (but fixable.)
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:48 AM   #21
Major Player

Thanks again for your help, David. I was sure it was PC-cillin that was causing the problem, as the issue disappeared right after I killed PC-cillin... but then I remembered that I'd also unregistered MP4Splitter prior to my tests. I conducted the tests covering all the variations, and found MP4Splitter was the culprit and caused problems whether or not PC-cillin was running.

BTW, I have no idea what MP4Splitter is supposed to do for me, as I see no difference in the CF converted files whether it's running or not.

One thing I have noticed, is that when the 5D mk II files are converted to AVI and dropped into the Timeline, Premier shows the red line above the AVIs in the Timeline, meaning the Timeline needs rendering for a full preview. Scrubbing through the timeline by grabbing the CTI and moving it forwards or backwards, is not as smooth or as quick to react as "regular" files captured directly from HDVSplit (for example). Also, if I want to render the preview timeline (by pressing Return), it's INCREDIBLY slow. A 3 minute clip may take an hour or significantly longer, even with no effects applied. The same length footage captured directly from the camera with HDVSplit doesn't need rendering to preview (or, if effects are added, it may take just a few minutes). Is this normal?

Julian
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #22
CTO, CineForm Inc.

For Premiere Pro you want to use Prospect HD, not NEO HD, as Prospect has Premiere accelerator. That Red bar is misleading, as we play fine, but Premiere (without acceleration) saying everything needs to be rendered if it is an external format whether it can play or not -- this is fixed somewhat in CS4 (marking external footage as yellow, only red if it can't play without rendering.) Give Prospect HD a try.
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #23
Major Player

Hi David,

I saw your suggestion on trying Prospect HD, but unfortunately, as a hobbyist, $749 is way out of my price range - I was stretching it quite a bit for Neo HD at $499. I appreciate all the help you've given me in the past few days, and I hope I've been some help to Cineform too, but it looks like I won't be a Cineform customer after all. Sorry about that.

Julian
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Found an audio clip to download. Issue is the malformed 44.1kHz 16-bit stereo that explains why there may be a difficultly connecting -- my audio device will not connect to it. Basically the mp4splitter is output to audio type "twos" which is not a PC audio format (Mac only) so that will to be fixed (pretty easy.) Have to check that out back at the office, but it is something that we can address in v4.
Any software that accesses QT directly (Adobe Products, Vegas and I believe MPEG_Streamclip) will decode the audio properly and anything that uses DirectShow loses the audio. I've also noticed that some of the pre-production 5D MKII MOV files that are online, have the FOURCC audio code as SWOT (little endian Apple Sound PCM)!

The problem also has nothing to do with MP4Splitter, since if you don't register it, the MainConcept MPEG-4 demuxer that comes with Adobe products will produce the exact same bad result with the 5D MOV files.

Methinks that Canon wanted to focus on the Mac workflow and didn't care if the 5D MKII files worked properly on a PC or not. ;-)
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #25
Tourist

Ok, the same problems here that Elizebeth Lowrey talked about here. At first, Neo HD would run and work but make the videos upside down. So I installed CoreAVC and ran the
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\CineForm\NEO-HD\MP4Splitter.ax"

And now I get the same error message that she posted from the Cineform log.

So now I am DOA. I do not have Premiere pro CS4 installed but do have cs3 installed.

Any thoughts?
Gregg Harris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase