Neo HD Trial Crashes on Canon 5D mk II Files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 4th, 2009, 01:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Neo HD Trial Crashes on Canon 5D mk II Files

I finally got around to downloading and installing the Neo HD trial. I wanted to see if I could convert the MOV files from my Canon 5D mk II to something which I could edit in Premier Pro CS3.

I have 2 installations of Windows XP (with the latest service pack and all the latest patches): One installation has everything installed on it, including the kitchen sink (anti-virus, anti-spyware, Production Premium CS3, Nero, Firefox, MS Office etc etc). The other installation (on a separate disk), is a clean Windows XP installation with only Production Premium CS3, TMPGEncXpress and some other support software.

I installed Neo HD on the first XP installation and after setting "Resize video" to 1440x1080, I was able to convert the 5D mk II MOV files to AVI, but HD Link would crash if I tried to add more than 4 MOV files to the queue at a time. Sometimes it would crash after converting the first file in the batch, or the second, or sometimes it would crash without even completing the first!

I installed the software on the clean XP installation. HD Link wouldn't convert any files, but would immediately crash.

The log shows no error messages, as HD Link is actually crashing Windows... the only error message is from Windows saying that HD Link crashed and asks if I want to send a message to Microsoft about it.

I was able to convert 28 video files from a recent trip to Long Beach, to the CF format , doing them in batches of 1 - 4 files at a time, then closing down HD Link and doing the next batch.

Needless to say, at this point I'm glad I've been able to try the trial software, rather than spend $500 on the full suite, only to experience these problems. Ultimately, though, I'd like to use Neo HD, if I can find out why it's crashing (especially on a clean Windows XP installation). Any ideas what may be going on?

Thanks,
Julian
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

NEO HD is using existing tools on your system to support the Canon 5D Mk II file conversion, as 5D is not yet native. Currently we recommend using the CoreAVC decoder (a $15 add-on) and registering the mp4splitter.ax (use regsvr32.exe) located in c:\program files\CineForm\NEO HD\. This should get you stable and reliable 5D conversions.
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Many thanks, David.

I've requested the trial version of CoreAVC and am waiting for the download link to arrive. I figured that Cineform must be using something on my system... why else would it work on the version of XP which has everything, but not on a clean install of XP?! Is there an up-coming release of Neo HD which will have native support for 5D mk II files?

I'll report back on my progress once I've received the CoreAVC trial.

Thanks again.

Julian
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes, expect that feature for NEO HD v4, which will be a free upgrade to anyone purchasing NEO HD v3 today.
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #5
Major Player

Sounds good. Thanks for the info. I'm still waiting for the CoreAVC trial to come. I guess those guys don't have the process automated, like Cineform! :-)
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

David, in interest of consolidation, I'm, continuing our very similar conversation from this thread (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-...tml#post987862) here.

I bought and installed CoreAVC as you suggested. The Haali splitter you mentioned in the other thread is included as a component of that software.

I also tried registering the mp4splitter.ax file you mentioned, although the whole procedure is Greek to me. I googled "regsvr32.exe" and used this site for guidance (You can use the Regsvr32 tool). But whether using the command prompt or the "Run" command, I never got a confirmation message that anything was in fact registered. If you can talk to me like I'm a four year old to tell me how to do this, I'd be happy to retry.

In any event, after rebooting, I converted a Canon mov file via HDLink and had the same problem, upside down, mirror image video. I should also mention that the audio in these files is always about half as long as the video, so some weird audio temporal shift is happening there as well.
Elizabeth Lowrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #7
Major Player

Elizabeth,

I opened a command window and navigated to the c:\program files\CineForm\NEO HD\ folder (I have a "TweakUI" Windows addition which allows me to simply right click on the folder icon at the top left corner of a window and chose "Command Prompt Here" which does the same thing in less steps!).

From the c:\program files\CineForm\NEO HD\ folder, simply type:

regsvr32 mp4splitter.ax

and press the Enter key. A message should pop up saying it was registered.

I haven't been able to test anything else out, yet, as a download link CoreAVC still hasn't been sent to me.

Good luck.

Julian
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Or from the run window, cut & paste

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\CineForm\NEO-HD\MP4Splitter.ax"

If it succeeds you will get a popup like:
Attached Thumbnails
Neo HD Trial Crashes on Canon 5D mk II Files-regsvr32.png  
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Julian, thanks very much. I followed your procedure before David posted and got the file to register, complete with confirmation message.

Unfortunately I am now getting errors in the HD Link log for the first time when attempting a file conversion. The program never actually shuts down. It just stalls in the apparent state of converting (the curvy arrows by the file name indicating conversion is ongoing) while never actually completing the task.

Attached is a screen cap of the last log generated.
Attached Thumbnails
Neo HD Trial Crashes on Canon 5D mk II Files-hd-link-capture-log.jpg  
Elizabeth Lowrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #10
Major Player

Since I didn't hear back from the CoreAVC guys, I went ahead and purchased the software. I installed it on my Has-Everything XP system and registered the MP4Splitter.ax file as previously described. I shot a bunch of short MOV files with the Canon 5D mk II and ran HD Link. I told HD Link to resize the video to 1440x180, selected all 24 files, and told HD Link to do its thing (convert to CF AVI).

HD Link progressed smoothly, until it hit the last file, "MVI_0400.MOV". This file is 53,932KB, and is not the largest or smallest of the 24 files selected for conversion. HD Link stopped converting the file and placed the following error messages in the log:

Error in m_mediaControl->Run() (0x8007000e - Not enough storage is available to complete this operation) in( DirectShowGraph.cpp at 218)
Error in m_convertGraph.StartGraph() (0x8007000e - Not enough storage is available to complete this operation) in (CFCaptureDig.cpp at 2373)
Error in m_convertClip(next) (0x8007000e - Not enough storage is available to complete this operation) in (CFCaptureDig.cpp at 2430)

When I tried converting just that last file, HD Link crashed with the same error message I was getting before I installed CoreAVC - that Windows was reporting HD Link crashed and asked if I wanted to send a message to Microsoft about it.

I restarted HD Link, successfully converted the last file and opened a new project in Premier. I imported all the CF converted AVI files and found NONE of them had any audio with them.

My system is a Dell 720 QuadCore with 3GB RAM, 4 internal hard drives (all with hundreds of gigs of free space). Firefox was running, as was Thunderbird, and there was no shortage of system resources available. After the crash, I noticed my Windows swap file was up at about 2.40GB, so something was gobbling it all up. Normally, nothing makes it go above 1GB.

I've attached screen shots of the log file and the HD Link window.

Julian
Attached Thumbnails
Neo HD Trial Crashes on Canon 5D mk II Files-hd-link-error.jpg   Neo HD Trial Crashes on Canon 5D mk II Files-hd-link-screen.jpg  

Neo HD Trial Crashes on Canon 5D mk II Files-hd-link-prefs.jpg  

Last edited by Julian Frost; January 4th, 2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Added info on missing audio
Old January 4th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #11
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Lowrey View Post
Julian, thanks very much. I followed your procedure before David posted and got the file to register, complete with confirmation message.

Unfortunately I am now getting errors in the HD Link log for the first time when attempting a file conversion. The program never actually shuts down. It just stalls in the apparent state of converting (the curvy arrows by the file name indicating conversion is ongoing) while never actually completing the task.

Attached is a screen cap of the last log generated.
The Log report is helpful. Any chance you have CS4 installed? NEO HD is not yet fully compatible with CS4. This is the reason we don't use the forum for support, machine configuration issues are such a big factor, you can end up talking in circles for days. If CS4 installed its AVC decoder is take precidence over CoreAVC, yet it doesn't work (the CS3 one does.) If you have CS4 run this:

regsvr32 -u "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2dsh264.ax"

Then try your conversion again. If not talk, to support on Monday.
Old January 4th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #12
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Julian,

I don't understand your memory loss, and you send the file that caused that? In repeatable tests I'm not seeing any memory issues.

As for audio, none of our 5D sources have audio, can you provide a clip that does?
Old January 4th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #13
Major Player

Hi David,

I'd be happy to send you whatever you need. However, like I said above, after shutting down HD Link and restarting it, I was able to convert the troublesome file, so I'm not sure just sending you the single file would help... it seems more likely that there's maybe a memory leak or something similar which, over the course of converting 2 dozen files, eventually eats up the system resources.

That said, I'd be more than happy to send you any of my test footage which contains audio. I have a yousendit account, so give me an email address and I'll upload one for you.

Thanks for your help.

Oh, one more thing, prior to installing CoreAVC and the MP4Splitter.ax, the converted clips had audio.

Julian
Old January 4th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #14
Major Player

As an additional note to the above message... I just re-ran HD Link and reconverted all the 5D mk II files. This time, I watched the Windows XP Task Manager. As each file began processing, the page file usage jumped. When the file was converted, the page file did not shrink again. When the next file began processing, the size of the page file grew from where it left off. The result was like looking at a series of steps, which continued upwards until all the page file resources were consumed and the program crashed. This time, I got to the 18th file before it crashed (last time it was #24 out of 24). Again, all of the converted files are missing the audio.
Old January 4th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #15
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That is interesting. I wonder if Mp4splitter.ax is not supporting audio from the 5D, and wonder which splitter was. My Canon 5D clip definitely don't have audio, so please email to dnewman at cineform.

You might be able to restore you audio by unregistering the mp4splitter (regsvr32 -u ...). If that works I would like to know which splitter or file reader is being used. If you install GraphEdit and drop the 5D MOVs onto it, it will shows what components are needed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase