DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   5DMkii conversion from 30p mov to 30p avi problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/141138-5dmkii-conversion-30p-mov-30p-avi-problem.html)

Mike Calla January 8th, 2009 08:06 AM

5DMkii conversion from 30p mov to 30p avi problem

Hello Davids:)

I’m using the trial version of NeoHD, so my apologies for taking up your time.

I’m using HDlink to convert Canon 5DMkii generated .mov to Cineform .avis’s. The 5Ds files run at 30 frames per second but unfortunately I get errors (seen below) when trying to render without a frame rate change ie: 30p mov to 30p avi.

To successfully covert files I must apply a 24p to 23.976p change.

Any ideas why I can’t keep the same frame rate?

If at all possible I’d like the professionals and their dedicated hardware converters to convert between frame rates – not me:)

Thank you very much

BTW Even the free codec available with Vegas kicks ass!!

Mike Calla January 8th, 2009 08:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this is the log generated from the above problem

David Newman January 8th, 2009 10:05 AM

Support will work you through this issue, all it means is you have the wrong demux or decoder for your source. Fille a trouble ticket at cineform.com/support

However the -0.1% speed change is a good idea as that converts the camera's 30.0 fps to a more standard 29.97p.

Mike Calla January 8th, 2009 10:31 AM

Thanks David!

Great that i can file a ticket while on a trial period - I'll file a ticket right now.

Can i ask your opinion? I previously mentioned that i would like to keep my converted files at 30p because i was thinking of getting a post house to do a hardware frame rate conversion after the project is completed. In your opinion is the conversion from 30p to 29.97p simple enough that software can handle it?

Once again thank you!

mike

David Newman January 8th, 2009 10:48 AM

30p to 29.97 very easy. It is the conversion to 23.976 from 29.97/30p that is tricky.

Mike Calla January 8th, 2009 11:13 AM

Excellent David:)

Saved me thousand$ in conversion costs!!!!

Mathieu Kassovitz January 8th, 2009 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 991272)
30p to 29.97 very easy. It is the conversion to 23.976 from 29.97/30p that is tricky.

How tricky?

Have you been following these tricks?

Compressor, Twixtor, Color...
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos...you-judge.html

Shake
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos...on-method.html

After Effects
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos...r-effects.html

David Newman January 9th, 2009 12:03 AM

Tricky meaning compute intensive, we only do conversion operation we can complete faster than real-time. It is cool to use common tools like AE to remap 29.97 to 23.976, and I have used twixtor in the past, but it will take up to a day per hour of source footage.

Mathieu Kassovitz January 9th, 2009 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 991681)
Tricky meaning compute intensive, we only do conversion operation we can complete faster than real-time. It is cool to use common tools like AE to remap 29.97 to 23.976, and I have used twixtor in the past, but it will take up to a day per hour of source footage.

Understood. Merci. Apart that issue, which one would you recommend?

Elizabeth Lowrey January 9th, 2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Calla (Post 991188)
this is the log generated from the above problem

Mike, I already have a ticket open with Cineform support, and I'm getting the exact same (and I mean exact) error entries in the log when I attempt a conversion of native Canon files to Cineform avis. I am also using the Neo HD trial.

Jake Segraves is handling my ticket there, and it's been ongoing for several days, so you might mention that if someone else is helping you.

I had never tried converting to 29.97. I was keeping same frame rate. Since it sounds like HD Link was working when you were doing a frame rate conversion, think I'll try that and report back just for kicks.

Elizabeth Lowrey January 9th, 2009 01:31 PM

Update:

I converted two different files with the following preferences checked: "Rate Change 24.00 to 23.976" AND "maintain audio pitch". The first was an untouched mov file straight from the camera, and the second was a mov file from the camera that had the extension renamed to mp4. In both cases, HD Link seemed to go about its business fine, showing progress bars, no errors. But the resultant avi files would not open or play in Windows Media Player. They both would open in Vegas Pro 8(c), albeit the avi made from the untouched mov file had only an audio stream while the avi from the renamed mp4 had only a video stream.

Not coincidentally, the render of the mov file resulted in a tiny file size, roughly 2 MB on an original file of about 54 MB. The render of the file that had the extension change to mp4 was a much more sensible 115 MB on an original file size of about 50 MB.

I then tried conversions on two more files, one native mov and one native mov renamed with an mp4 extension. The difference on this pass was that I unchecked the "maintain audio pitch" option in HD Link preferences. Frame rate conversion (to effective 29.97) remained checked.

This time, the untouched mov file rendered to a Cineform avi that had the complete video stream in the correct orientation and aspect and had a truncated audio stream roughly 20% the length of the original clip audio. This clip played in both Windows Media Player and Vegas.

The mov file with the mp4 renamed extension crashed HD Link on attempted conversion, although it kept rendering for some reason until I hit the "send error report" link in the pop up window and the program closed. The resultant avi was black screen, audio gibberish in Windows Media Player and would not open at all in Vegas.

So I'm now getting good video and truncated audio if I frame rate convert from the Canon's native 30.00 fps mov file to 29.97 while NOT maintaining audio pitch. I also get good video if I frame rate convert from a mov file that has been renamed to mp4 first with "maintain audio pitch checked", albeit the avi has no audio at all.

Mike Calla January 20th, 2009 06:26 PM

Elizabeth,
Did support ever get back to you??

Its been just under two weeks for me. I need an answer soon!

Mike

David Newman January 20th, 2009 06:36 PM

It seem like you had a solution by converting to 29.97 (which is a good idea anyway.) I've prompted support to follow up. There is likely an additional component on you PC that is interfering, we just don't know what it is.