DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Difference between NeoHDV and Neo Scene (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/141917-difference-between-neohdv-neo-scene.html)

Mark Johnstone January 19th, 2009 07:19 PM

Difference between NeoHDV and Neo Scene

Hi,

I’m a user of Neo HDV, and I see that you have an upgrade program to Neo Scene. I understand that the following are differences between the two products:

* Support for AVCHD
* Future software updates will only be to the Neo Scene product.
* Neo Scene does not support the two film scan modes that seemed to be overkill for HDV anyway.

What other differences exist right now? Since I use HDV (M2T), is there any compelling reason for me to upgrade now?

Thanks,

--Mark

John Cline January 20th, 2009 12:23 PM

One major difference for me is that NEO Scene supports full 1920x1080.

Mark Johnstone January 20th, 2009 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Cline (Post 998054)
One major difference for me is that NEO Scene supports full 1920x1080.

Good point. I forgot to mention that above. Since all of my shooting is in HDV, this is not a resolution I care about, so for me, this is not a reason to upgrade. Others may find it compelling.

--Mark

Perrone Ford January 20th, 2009 10:58 PM

Those who are doing significant color correction or grading may find great utility in the upgraded program. 10-bit color is really the bottom end when it comes to doing intricate color work. Really 12-14 bits is where you'd like to be.

David Newman January 21st, 2009 09:54 AM

OT: I think you thinking of linear precision, then more than 10-bit is necessary. Typical film filming uses 10-bit DPX files with a cineon log curve, show that 10-bit is sufficient for with a suitable curve.

Perrone Ford January 21st, 2009 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 998454)
OT: I think you thinking of linear precision, then more than 10-bit is necessary. Typical film filming uses 10-bit DPX files with a cineon log curve, show that 10-bit is sufficient for with a suitable curve.

Yes, I am talking linear precision. There are a number of suitable log curves, Cineon, Panalog, etc. Amazingly, I was able to download a free Panalog DPX tool from Panavision. AWESOME tool.

Mark Johnstone January 22nd, 2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 998285)
Those who are doing significant color correction or grading may find great utility in the upgraded program. 10-bit color is really the bottom end when it comes to doing intricate color work. Really 12-14 bits is where you'd like to be.

I mostly shoot underwater video, so improvements for color correction are a big deal for me. Thanks!

Dave, I think it would be good to put up some kind of check list that shows the enhancements. For some reason, I thought that Neo already supported 10-bit color.

David Newman January 22nd, 2009 03:22 PM

NEO use 10-bit for compression, and decodes with 32-bit float precision within Premiere Pro and After Effect. Prospect adds 32-bit filters and controls more of the color precision issue for you. If you use an 8-bit filter you can have color correction issue. Prospect might be best for you.

Robin Davies-Rollinson January 26th, 2009 02:12 AM

I've just started the trial period with Neo Scene since I want to edit my 1920 AVCHD files with CS3 Premiere Pro. I'm not sure about the import preset to use. Should I create a custom preset under the "desktop" heading? - there doesn't seem to be any other 1920 options other than Sony EX etc.

David Newman January 26th, 2009 10:05 AM

New project, custom settings, then select desktop mode. From here you can create any preset you like.

Robin Davies-Rollinson January 26th, 2009 11:02 AM

Thanks David - that's what I ended up doing (intuition or what!!!)
I must say, it's all working a treat and I've edited some test AVCHD at full rez with no problem - except, in some interlaced footage, I ended up with some "combing" on movement, even though I was using the correct field setting. Perhaps I should shoot everything in25p...?

David Newman January 26th, 2009 11:48 AM

You might get combing in the preview, but it should appear in your exports. Do check interpret footage that it is being flagged as interlaced not progressive. Advice, always shoot progressive if you can, unless you are shooting a reality show or your kid's soccer match.

Mark Johnstone January 26th, 2009 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 999187)
NEO use 10-bit for compression, and decodes with 32-bit float precision within Premiere Pro and After Effect. Prospect adds 32-bit filters and controls more of the color precision issue for you. If you use an 8-bit filter you can have color correction issue. Prospect might be best for you.

I use Vegas Pro. How does Neo Scene handle color under Vegas?

Mark Johnstone January 30th, 2009 11:46 PM

Chirp * Chirp * Chirp (Crickets)

David Newman January 30th, 2009 11:55 PM

read http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-...-neoscene.html then re-ask your question if it not answered.