Difference between NeoHDV and Neo Scene at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 19th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #1
New Boot

Difference between NeoHDV and Neo Scene

Hi,

I’m a user of Neo HDV, and I see that you have an upgrade program to Neo Scene. I understand that the following are differences between the two products:

* Support for AVCHD
* Future software updates will only be to the Neo Scene product.
* Neo Scene does not support the two film scan modes that seemed to be overkill for HDV anyway.

What other differences exist right now? Since I use HDV (M2T), is there any compelling reason for me to upgrade now?

Thanks,

--Mark
Mark Johnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #2
Major Player

One major difference for me is that NEO Scene supports full 1920x1080.
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cline View Post
One major difference for me is that NEO Scene supports full 1920x1080.
Good point. I forgot to mention that above. Since all of my shooting is in HDV, this is not a resolution I care about, so for me, this is not a reason to upgrade. Others may find it compelling.

--Mark
Old January 20th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Those who are doing significant color correction or grading may find great utility in the upgraded program. 10-bit color is really the bottom end when it comes to doing intricate color work. Really 12-14 bits is where you'd like to be.
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:54 AM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

OT: I think you thinking of linear precision, then more than 10-bit is necessary. Typical film filming uses 10-bit DPX files with a cineon log curve, show that 10-bit is sufficient for with a suitable curve.
Old January 21st, 2009, 10:46 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
OT: I think you thinking of linear precision, then more than 10-bit is necessary. Typical film filming uses 10-bit DPX files with a cineon log curve, show that 10-bit is sufficient for with a suitable curve.
Yes, I am talking linear precision. There are a number of suitable log curves, Cineon, Panalog, etc. Amazingly, I was able to download a free Panalog DPX tool from Panavision. AWESOME tool.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:54 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Those who are doing significant color correction or grading may find great utility in the upgraded program. 10-bit color is really the bottom end when it comes to doing intricate color work. Really 12-14 bits is where you'd like to be.
I mostly shoot underwater video, so improvements for color correction are a big deal for me. Thanks!

Dave, I think it would be good to put up some kind of check list that shows the enhancements. For some reason, I thought that Neo already supported 10-bit color.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:22 PM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

NEO use 10-bit for compression, and decodes with 32-bit float precision within Premiere Pro and After Effect. Prospect adds 32-bit filters and controls more of the color precision issue for you. If you use an 8-bit filter you can have color correction issue. Prospect might be best for you.
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #9
Trustee

I've just started the trial period with Neo Scene since I want to edit my 1920 AVCHD files with CS3 Premiere Pro. I'm not sure about the import preset to use. Should I create a custom preset under the "desktop" heading? - there doesn't seem to be any other 1920 options other than Sony EX etc.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

New project, custom settings, then select desktop mode. From here you can create any preset you like.
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #11
Trustee

Thanks David - that's what I ended up doing (intuition or what!!!)
I must say, it's all working a treat and I've edited some test AVCHD at full rez with no problem - except, in some interlaced footage, I ended up with some "combing" on movement, even though I was using the correct field setting. Perhaps I should shoot everything in25p...?
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #12
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You might get combing in the preview, but it should appear in your exports. Do check interpret footage that it is being flagged as interlaced not progressive. Advice, always shoot progressive if you can, unless you are shooting a reality show or your kid's soccer match.
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
NEO use 10-bit for compression, and decodes with 32-bit float precision within Premiere Pro and After Effect. Prospect adds 32-bit filters and controls more of the color precision issue for you. If you use an 8-bit filter you can have color correction issue. Prospect might be best for you.
I use Vegas Pro. How does Neo Scene handle color under Vegas?
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #14
New Boot

Chirp * Chirp * Chirp (Crickets)
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #15
CTO, CineForm Inc.

read http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-...-neoscene.html then re-ask your question if it not answered.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase