DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Prospect HD versus VirtualDub: (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/142379-prospect-hd-versus-virtualdub.html)

Simon Zimmer January 25th, 2009 08:28 PM

Prospect HD versus VirtualDub:

Hello,

I just got Prospect HD. I have a HV20 Canon camcorder which outputs video at 1440x1080 60i.

I use PPCS3 and would be curious to know what method makes more sense to create 1920 x 1080 progressive footage.

Should I use Prospect HD in PPCS3 (Progressive and Resize option to 1920x1080) or should I capture video as interlaced 1440x1080 and then use a aviscript/virtual dub to de-interlace and resize the footage.

I guess what I am asking is are the progressive and resize tools of Prospect HD as good as aviscript/virtualdub?

Thanks,

Simon

David Newman January 25th, 2009 09:00 PM

If you have HV20, and you want progressive, you should be shooting 24p. The capture within all our PC products include 3-2 pulldown removal required to convert the 60i (24p embedded) HV20 output into true 24p, without any loss of resolution. It does these in real-time upcon capture into your PC -- aviscript/virtualdub can't match that for quality or convience. The scaling algorithms within HDLink are the Lanczos 3, that is also your one of your best options.

If you didn't shoot in the 24p mode of the HV20 (shame on you ;) ), the 60i to pseudo 24p/30p filters available to AVISynth are going to give you more flexibility than the deinterlacer within our tools.

Simon Zimmer January 26th, 2009 10:51 AM

VirtualDub

Hi David,

I appreciate the quick response.

I understand your point about 24p but the strobe effect i get when I pan was just too much.

I wish i had the hv30 because then I could film with 30p. Oh well, maybe next year. ;)

Anyway, I do film with 60i and use the VirtualDub/aviscript method after capturing it with Prospect HD. I did the test last night on a short clip and the results were better via VirtualDub.

Anyway, I was just curious to see what Cineform thought. The combo between Prospect HD and VirtualDub is what I will do. I am not complaining. Both are great products!!!!!

Thanks and good day!

Simon

David Newman January 26th, 2009 11:43 AM

I still suggest you learn to shoot with 24p panning speed, that is only 20% slower than 30p, and 24p is more exceptable for distrubtion. BluRay and Vimeo don't do 30p, as examples. Also even shooting 60i with slower pans designed for 24/30p will actually work better overal. i.e shooting 60i doesn't get you any advantage if you intend to convert to 24p.

Simon Zimmer January 26th, 2009 12:23 PM

Good information!

Okay, I will experiment more with it.

I appreciate the advise.

Right now, my final result for viewing is either my desktop or web viewing for our non-profit.

Therefore, 30p has been quite good for that.

I don't use Vimeo or Blueray.

Thanks again,

Simon