Neo Scene - Support for 5D2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 26th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Neo Scene - Support for 5D2?

I am aware that NEO Scene does not support the 5D Mark II Files.

Is there any future plans to support it? Or perhaps another lower priced solution that will work with the 5D files?

Currently, NEO HD is just not an affordable solution for my budget. I have to believe there are many other 5D users in the same boat as myself.

Thanks
Rich Castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Castro View Post
I am aware that NEO Scene does not support the 5D Mark II Files.

Is there any future plans to support it? Or perhaps another lower priced solution that will work with the 5D files?

Currently, NEO HD is just not an affordable solution for my budget. I have to believe there are many other 5D users in the same boat as myself.

Thanks
You know, Cineform doesn't need me to tell them what to do but I could pretty much guarantee that if Cineform were to develop a intermediate product specifically for the Canon 5K MII they would/could sell the daylights out of it. Particularly if it worked on a MAC as well as the PC. Hell, Canon alone would probably buy it and work some type of bundle to their customers just to get the complaints off their backs on how hard it is to work with this video...

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #3
Major Player

The Mac version of Neo Scene will support the 5D2 when it becomes available in a few weeks. A future version of Neo Scene Windows *might* support the 5D2, but expect support from Neo Scene Mac first.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 02:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
The Mac version of Neo Scene will support the 5D2 when it becomes available in a few weeks. A future version of Neo Scene Windows *might* support the 5D2, but expect support from Neo Scene Mac first.
Isn't it more important to support PC, since we are the ones who have the most problems with this files?
Edouard Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
That's a bit odd. Why would the mac version support the 5D2 but not the PC version? Is this strictly a marketing decision or are there technical issues?
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #6
Major Player

The reason is simply technical. The native wrapper on the 5D2 files is MOV so support through Neo Scene on Mac is simpler. There is no attempt to withhold valuable features on Windows!
Old January 27th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I should have specified in my original post. 5d support for windows is what I was referring to.

I am a Windows and Mac user. As a Mac user and hobbyist videoagrapher, I absolutely do not need NEO Scene. Does any hobbyist mac user really need it? As a windows user, I'd purchase NEO Scene (at it's current price point) in a heart beat if it supported the 5d files. I'm sure many others would too.

Hearing that Neo Scene might not support the 5D for windows is definitely disappointing. It's a shame especially since this would benefit many and also be a very lucrative enhancement for Cineform.
Old January 27th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #8
Major Player

Make sense, besides the technology differences, it would also be a poor business case to make Mac users buy a $500 transcoder when one can spend $700 more to get Final Cut Studio which includes one..
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #9
Major Player

I agree... I'd happily pay the price for Neo Scene if it produced something which would make the 5D mk II files editable on my Quad core PC with 3GB RAM and Premier Pro CS3 in something approaching real-time. As a hobbyist, there's no way I could afford $750 for Prospect HD, but $129 for a workable PC solution would be something I'd buy in an instant (as long as HD Link actually worked reliably, which it doesn't on my system!).

Julian
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Frost View Post
..but $129 for a workable PC solution would be something I'd buy in an instant (as long as HD Link actually worked reliably, which it doesn't on my system!).

Julian
Heck, I don't even care about HD Link. We cab use freeware to like mpeg streamclip to convert the files.

Cineform please help us!
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #11
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Castro View Post
Heck, I don't even care about HD Link. We cab use freeware to like mpeg streamclip to convert the files.

Cineform please help us!
Ambigious enquiry. What do you need?

NEO HD's HDLink works on 90% of installations with CoreAVC installed, and can be made to work on them all. Our time now will be best spent working on NEO HD v4, to get audio running correctly from 5D, rather than quick hacks for NEO Scene without audio.
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #12
Regular Crew

My apologies if I was not clear. I really just need to convert the 5d files to a format the Vegas will accept and preview smoothly while maintaining quality. No other conversion to the files is needed like 30 to 24fps.

I myself was unable to get HDlink to work on the NEO HD trial, but I was not aware that i needed CoreAVC. My workaround was to use MPEG streamclip and convert to a Cineform AVI. The Cineform AVI file performed flawlessly for my needs. I'm not even sure if the audio was intact as the videos were put to music.

Coming from Photo, I'm very green when it comes to the video world. Lot's of new terminology and software to learn. Hopefully this a bit clearer.
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #13
Major Player

I was never able to get HD Link to work reliably. Sometimes, when given a batch of 5D mk II MOV files to convert, it would randomly create zero-byte length Cineform files while processing random MOV files. If I closed the application and ran it again, it would process those same files without a problem, and then have trouble with other files. On other occasions, it would just crash. I purchased CoreAVC and that made no difference. I tried several other "hacks" too, but was never able to make it run reliably. Even with the footage it successfully converted, I was never able to edit any footage (reliably and in realtime) in Premier Pro CS3. That was when I was told I'd need Prospect HD, which is out of my price range, and leads us back to this thread.

Julian
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #14
Major Player

Currently Neo HD relies on third-party components (CoreAVC) to work with 5D2 files. This is only partially reliable as many have found, largely due to incompatibilites with other installed software. We intend native support in an upcoming version of Neo HD that will solve all these problems.

No, I don't have a date to throw out yet!
Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:47 PM   #15
Major Player

For the record, you can chalk up one more 5D2 user who would be willing to purchase Cineform at the Scene price point but beyond that I'll find another solution. The thing with the 5D2 is that you're getting a lot of semi-pro photogs getting interested in video as a side thing. So, although we can justify some expense, nothing too crazy. So, here's another vote for 5D2 support in Scene -- I think you're leaving a lot of potential sales to 5D2 users on the table, but what do I know?

Right now, I fairly happy with this (free to Vegas users) workflow, albeit with an outdated version of Cineform...

5D2 > Streamclip to MP4 (fast, no transcode) > Vegas > Events to Regions script > Batch Render script to Cineform > Real-Time Edit with correct colorspace.

(With new QT, the Streamclip conversion is not really needed.)
Bill Binder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase