Any way of identifying what settings I used? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 27th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #1
Major Player

Any way of identifying what settings I used?

I rendered out a 13 minute project to an intermediate AVI using Cineform Codec (I have NEO) and put the AVI onto a new timeline so we could apply a new aspect ratio to the entire film. Anyway, we had to make some changes to the original edit and this morning begun the re-render to the new, pre cropped intermediate.

The problem however is that the new render will take 16 hours probably ending up over 100GB. The one we had the other day came in at 4.3Gb and rendered inside 2 hours.

The problem is I've forgotten what I did to get the 4.3Gb target on the original!

How do I find out which setting I used to get that size?

We render to AVI from Sony Vegas 7.0e, having selected AVI 720p25fps intermediate AVI.

Cheers
Stuart
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

At 100GB for 13 minutes, that is not a CineForm file, that is even a little bigger than uncompressed. Vegas settings got messed up. 13 mintues of 720p25 at High quality should fit under 4GB.
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:20 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi David,

That's really interesting!

I'm really confused by what you say there. I did a trial and error test to see which codec setting I originally chose and started from HD Low which gave me about 2 Gb. HD Medium gave me about 4Gb, which lead me to believe that was what I chose originally. I didn't test HIGH because a: I'd not read your post and b: because that was what it was set to when I got my huge file size and render time.

When I rendered with Intermediate AVI 720p25 with the codec setting to HD High my render times were going up to 16 hours or so and the file getting BIG!

Is this Vegas playing around?

Furthermore, to your post I've rendered many things out as an uncompressed AVI in HIGH mode to send to post houses etc and even a 5 second clip comes out as a whole Gb. As you say, these really are not far off the sizes I'd expect from rendering out to uncompressed AVI.

Is there something strange going on with Vegas perhaps? I'll do a test with the same clip to uncompressed and intermediate HIGH and compare the sizes.

In the mean time, what is the data rate info for each of the intermediate render settings compared to quality. It'd be interesting to know the differences between LOW MEDIUM and HIGH and be able to calculate the file sizes as a result.

Many thanks
Stuart
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Campbell View Post
Hi David,

Is this Vegas playing around?
this may sound like a dumb question but have you verified that your preset for "intermediate high" hasn't somehow been corrupted? It almost sounds like that preset is no longer invoking the Cineform codec.
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Odd. maybe you're nesting and renesting the sequence over and over again ?
Idar Lettrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #6
Major Player

Idar,

You were spot on. I had a nested project on there with a bit from another nested project. Didn't realise.

But, how would that make a difference? Surely the render is just what's on the timeline. regardless of it's source?
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase