ATI or Quadro for Prospect (the facts) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 29th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Nvidia gpu acceleration Adobe

Adobe CS4 To Be Accelerated By NVIDIA GPUs - HotHardware

An article on NVIDIA GPU acceleration for Adobe CS4

more...

Adobe Creative Suite Users Get Nvidia Present - Tom's Guide
John Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
If you want to use a second monitor for full-screen playback with Cineform products (not just a stretched workspace) then there's no question. ATI. No Nvidia card will do this anymore.
HI Adam.
I am using the Quadro NVS 450 and have four monitors running full screen.
Old May 29th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Brun View Post
HI Adam.
I am using the Quadro NVS 450 and have four monitors running full screen.
What drivers, date, OS? What playback settings on both Premiere, OS and Cineform? What Cineform product, version? Would love to know how to do this, given that both CF and NVidia say it's impossible with current drivers and OSes.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Hey Adam,

I posted this once before in another thread, but since it's come up again here I'll repost. I have full screen playback on my second monitor with an NVidia card as well. Here's my setup:

Windows 7 64-bit (build 7100)
CS4 - latest patches
ProspectHD v4.03 b212
GeForce 8800 GTX (185.85)
Dell 2007WFP as monitor #1
Dell E248WFP as monitor #2

To enable full screen preview of the Program Monitor on monitor #2, select the timeline, the select the Sequence menu, Sequence Settings, Playback Settings, and under External Device select Monitor:2...

I don't know what issues others are having, but this works great for me. If Premiere has the focus then monitor #2 goes to full screen preview mode. If I click out onto something else then monitor #2 reverts back to extended desktop.

I calibrate monitor #2 with a Spyder 3. Great for color correction.

Glenn
Glenn Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
What drivers, date, OS? What playback settings on both Premiere, OS and Cineform? What Cineform product, version? Would love to know how to do this, given that both CF and NVidia say it's impossible with current drivers and OSes.
i7 920, 12g DDR3 1600mhz
Asus P6T SE Mother Board
Vista 64 Ultimate Service Pack 2
Quadro NVS 450 (running all HDMI) at 1920x1080 (182.46) latest is not stable for my card and doesnt give the correct refresh rates.
Acer H243H x 2
Samsung 32" LCD HDTV
ProspectHD-4.0.3.212
Prem CS4 4.1

CS4 has no problem out putting to the Samsung or the Asus monitors.
In fact neither had Vegas 8.

I edot on both Acer monitors and preview on the HDTV Display.

I am having a few problems with the OS not recognising the screens for some reason now:
I have ordered some new digital port to hdmi converters and expect that to fix the problem.
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #21
Major Player

HI Glen.
Are you pleased with Spyder 3??
Is it really worth the money?
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Gary,

I originally bought it for still work and now use it for video as well. A must-have if you want accurate color. No point in color correcting using an out-of-calibration monitor as your reference.

It's really something to see in action. Once you complete the calibration it gives you a before and after. There's a surprising amount of difference!

Glenn
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Babcock View Post
Gary,

I originally bought it for still work and now use it for video as well. A must-have if you want accurate color. No point in color correcting using an out-of-calibration monitor as your reference.

It's really something to see in action. Once you complete the calibration it gives you a before and after. There's a surprising amount of difference!

Glenn
Well I can see Im getting that next week.
thanks for the responce.
I need it for video work.
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Glenn and Gary --

Great news and interesting info. As NVidia has said there would be no-full screen support for any Vista OS, I thought the issue was dead. Will do some experimenting by re-installing my Quadro 1500 and installing the drivers you are using. Will let everyone know how it works out. Also noticed you are using Prospect v4 -- maybe the Cineform folks fixed this?
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Adam,

It worked for me with PHD3.x, and also with PPCS4 without PHD.

Glenn
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Hm. Interesting. Must be the driver. I'll DL and test.

Thanks.
Old May 30th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #27
Trustee

OK, Maybe I'm missing something here, but with CS4 there is no Cineform Realtime engine in place yet, therefore, all of you saying it works are using Adobes built-in preview engine. This has never been an issue. The Cineform Realtime engine however, relies on the hardware overlay feature of video cards, which has apparently gone the way of the dodo. So in the past, if you wanted to get a full screen overlay when editing in CIneform accelerated mode, you had to have a card that supported full screen overlay to a second monitor. This was achieved outside of Premiere inside of the video card driver settings. In fact, the options you are all seeing in PRemiere to utilize a second screen disappear once you load the CIneform presets.

As I have said, these cards are becoming extinct, at least from NVidia. So our only real hope here is that Cineform pulls a rabbit out of their hat with the RT engine for CS4 and starts utilizing a non_overlay method or maybe taps into Adobe's built-in engine.

Cineform "had" a great method for accomplishing their overlay, but unfortunately hardware vendors and possibly issues with copy protection have forced this technology to go bye-bye.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Marty,

That makes sense. To be clear, I AM referring to the PPCS4 playback engine. I hadn't made the distinction, but of course (as you said) there is no PHD4 RT engine for PPCS4.

Thanks,
Glenn
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Marty -- Thanks for spelling that out the way you did so I could save a lot of time and frustration trying stuff that obviously won't work for me, as I'm waiting for the RT acceleration before moving to Prospect v4. This is great info. I'll stick with my ATI card for now.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase