CS4 and Cineform, some dumb questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old February 8th, 2009, 05:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

CS4 and Cineform, some dumb questions

I've got 4k Red footage, a modest PC dual core laptop, Prospect 4k, and CS4. Trying to find the best workflow on it and codecs aren't an area I grasp too easily. If I'm making any assumptions I shouldn't be, please let me know.

At the moment, I'm looking at using R2CF to convert the files to 1K Express so my laptop can handle to footage. Edit in Premiere CS4, then where I get confused is what I can output to after I edit. Since this uses the original R3d, does that mean I can get a r3d output to take through RedCine? (Guess, I really don't know)

Or if someone has a difference suggestion I'd be open to it. I basically need to do low-rez editing, but would like to be able to still go back to the r3d to adjust cropping, color, ect... from the original 4k if I need to after the edit. Possible?

Thanks,
Alex
Alex Donkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #2
Major Player

Cineform doesn't have it's software ready for CS4 yet. You've might have a few weeks to wait.
Old February 8th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The R3D batch conversion scripts that generated CineForm Express files can also generate your online files from R3D. While you can go back to R3D files, there are advantages to sticking with the CineForm workflow (faster, more flexible, more quality controls, etc.) I expect the CS4 importer to be out in public beta this week.
Old February 10th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #4
Trustee

Well as long as we are asking dumb questions ( I'm kidding of course) I am curious if the filters and transitions are going to be functional anytime soon in CS4. I have a project that I just have to do in CS4 that is in a strange aspect ratio. There are a few features that I can utilize that are not available in CS3. While I am okay for now with no CIneform support I am wondering if the initial beta will incude the plugins even if there is no acceleration? I use the Cinefrom effects and filters often in non Cineform projects all the time, even without acceleration.

I really only need one for now (horizontal wipe) that I use often because it has some nice soft edges. The Premiere wipes are all so defined and un-natural. If Prospect will not be bringing the plugins over in the initial release, I need to know if anyone knows of some options that would allow me to get a more natural, soft wipe for my upcoming project.

Thanks!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Trustee

Well CS4 Production Suite is in my grubby little hands! But I am scared to death to actually install it now! What if it screws up my system? Also, while I am all for saving trees, I do miss the thick manuals for each product that used to come with these suites. This thing is barebones for sure!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
Well as long as we are asking dumb questions ( I'm kidding of course) I am curious if the filters and transitions are going to be functional anytime soon in CS4. I have a project that I just have to do in CS4 that is in a strange aspect ratio. There are a few features that I can utilize that are not available in CS3. While I am okay for now with no CIneform support I am wondering if the initial beta will incude the plugins even if there is no acceleration? I use the Cinefrom effects and filters often in non Cineform projects all the time, even without acceleration.

I really only need one for now (horizontal wipe) that I use often because it has some nice soft edges. The Premiere wipes are all so defined and un-natural. If Prospect will not be bringing the plugins over in the initial release, I need to know if anyone knows of some options that would allow me to get a more natural, soft wipe for my upcoming project.

Thanks!
No clue if the plugins would work, but if you might be able to use Premiere's wipe for a rough cut, then export the just frames involved in a wipe to another program in high rez form, render a better wipe, then replace the footage.
Alex Donkle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase