Neo Scene shredded my 5D2 footage? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 10th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #1
Wrangler

Neo Scene shredded my 5D2 footage?

Hey guys, after using Neo Scene 1.1.0 on my PC to convert my 5D2 footage for a week, I was quite impressed and bought it. After a shoot on Sunday, I converted my footage as usual (quality high, convert to 24p) and to my surprise, found that several of the clips now had the issue you see below. The original .movs were clean, no issues. This shows in both Windows media player and Vegas 8.

I rendered some of them again, thinking it might have been a fluke, and there was no change.

Any thoughts?

Edit, the horizontal splits are much finer than what the photos here display... not sure why it's changed after I uploaded them to DVinfo.
Attached Thumbnails
Neo Scene shredded my 5D2 footage?-image0.jpg   Neo Scene shredded my 5D2 footage?-image1.jpg  

Old March 10th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Try VirtualDub to preview your AVIs. This looks like part of you processing added pulldown, we don't ADD pulldown.
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Dylan:

24 P from 30P ? In my discussion with David Newman, he is recommending against removingpull down with 30p material. That is what you are doing, right ? If you capture without converting to 24p, are you seeing the same thing occur ? Generally, I have been editing all my 5D stuff in Vegas and rendering back to a Custom 30p. I am finding some success converting to 24p from within Vegas, in final outputs going to mp4 files.
Old March 10th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #4
Wrangler

Chris, yes 30p->24p using the option built into Neo Scene. I know it's not perfect, but has worked well enough for me up to this point.
Anyway...
I rerendered the originals of the troubled files to 30p instead of 24p and... perfect.

Which leaves me confused because up to this point, I've converted about 100-150 5D2 files through Neo Scene, using the 30p to 24p option and have never had a single problem. Then, from that last shoot 3 or 4 clips are messed up, but only to 24p.

Any suggestions why it's worked 98% of the time so far?
My theory is that once I registered, it didn't have to try as hard to impress me... :)

David, what's VirtualDub and where do I get it?
Old March 10th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Put "VirtualDub" into google. It is the most widely used open source AVI tool, I use it 30 times a day.
Old March 10th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Put "VirtualDub" into google. It is the most widely used open source AVI tool, I use it 30 times a day.
Interesting, thanks!

So, any insight as to why Cineform would do that to some video clips, but not others?
Old March 10th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Where aren't doing anything, it is your graphics card, and VirtualDub will prove that.

David
Old March 20th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Where aren't doing anything, it is your graphics card, and VirtualDub will prove that.

Hi David. On your advice I went out and spent $450 on a new video card, it didn't make a difference. BTW, if it was my video card, wouldn't it affect all my Cineform files the same way?

Anyway, I installed VirtualDub to be sure. The "shredded" file looked exactly the same in VirtualDub as it did in WMP and Vegas 8, on both my main system and my 2nd system (different video cards). Guess the new video card was kind of a waste.

I decided to do a bit more experimenting so I shot a bunch of new footage to see if I could get it to do it again. About 1 in 20 clips exhibit the same problem, but only when converting to 24p through Neo Scene. When I set it to Maintain Source Format or Deinterlace, it works fine as usual.

The weird part is that the 24p conversion (yeah I know it's not supposed to be the best, but its good enough for me) works perfectly almost all the time... it's just that 1 in 20 clip that's messed up.

Thoughts on this? Or should I just accept it and stick to 30p?
Thanks!
(apart from this, Love Cineform!)
Old March 20th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #9
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I only recommend a graphics card issue if VirtualDub looked great, pointing to a card problem. I think you where just too keen to get yourself an awesome new graphics card. ;) Nor would recommend any card much above $100.

24p conversion is not designed for 30p source, every 4th frame will be constructed from two frames. If you force deinterlace with pulldown removal you can limit the actifact, you can do that in NEO HD, I'm not sure that it will work in Neo Scene.
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
I only recommend a graphics card issue if VirtualDub looked great, pointing to a card problem. I think you where just too keen to get yourself an awesome new graphics card. ;) Nor would recommend any card much above $100.
So uh, maybe I wanted a new graphic card to play Left 4 Dead... If my girlfriend asks, you'll back me up, right? :)

Quote:
24p conversion is not designed for 30p source, every 4th frame will be constructed from two frames. If you force deinterlace with pulldown removal you can limit the actifact, you can do that in NEO HD, I'm not sure that it will work in Neo Scene.
No worries. I'll stick to 30p from Neo Scene, Neo HD's a bit out of my budget for now.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase