DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Windows Premiere Pro CS4 Importer Beta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/145648-windows-premiere-pro-cs4-importer-beta.html)

David Newman March 14th, 2009 05:27 PM

Using Vista 64, XP-64 and XP-32, all work. But they all had mediacore directories, something is different in your Adobe setup.

Edouard Saba March 15th, 2009 09:54 AM

So, I took one week break from testing (I was getting a bit mad) and... the new cs4 importer works perfecly. I can import the new Neoscene 5DII converted files and edit them perfectly. Quality is wonderful. I see finally the light. I will test the last neoscene (I should be able to test it for one week) and probably buy it.

Guillaume Roques March 15th, 2009 11:53 AM

@David

Below are the folders I have in directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe

Adobe After Effects CS4
Adobe Bridge CS4
Adobe Device Central CS4
Adobe Encore CS4
Adobe Extension Manager CS4
Adobe Flash CS4
Adobe Help Viewer
Adobe Illustrator CS4
Adobe Media Encoder CS4
Adobe OnLocation CS4
Adobe Photoshop CS4
Adobe Premiere Pro CS4
Adobe Soundbooth CS4
Adobe Soundbooth Scores
Adobe Utilities
AdobePatchFiles

No mediacore.... :( I have to confess that I'm lost in translation! Do you think I can create the folder?

Thanks for your help.

Guillaume

Steve Montoto March 15th, 2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guillaume Roques (Post 1028075)
@David

Adobe After Effects CS4
Adobe Bridge CS4
Adobe Device Central CS4
Adobe Encore CS4
Adobe Extension Manager CS4
Adobe Flash CS4
Adobe Help Viewer
Adobe Illustrator CS4
Adobe Media Encoder CS4
Adobe OnLocation CS4
Adobe Photoshop CS4
Adobe Premiere Pro CS4
Adobe Soundbooth CS4
Adobe Soundbooth Scores
Adobe Utilities
AdobePatchFiles

No mediacore.... :( I have to confess that I'm lost in translation! Do you think I can create the folder?

Thanks for your help.

Guillaume

Guillaume,

I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64

The path should be C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS4\MediaCore

at least thats what it is on my comp.

Craig Irving March 15th, 2009 02:12 PM

I seem to be having some problems too. I thought I'd be able to open my projects which were probably created with Aspect HD and work on them, but I can't. Adobe says "A serious error has occured" and shuts down. Same with any ProspectHD projects I may have. So I was thinking I'd just start a new project and test the importer, but of course I can't create a Cineform-based project. I tried importing some of my Cineform files anyway, and they were only recognized as audio clips. I wasn't expecting RT or effects, but I was hoping to be able to resume work on projects I started in Aspect/Prospect before. I don't have Prospect installed, would it help if I did, and then replace the importer files?

Hopefully there's still a Prospect 4 Beta coming out soon, and that having this importer available won't be an excuse for delaying the beta release of Prospect 4.

Guillaume Roques March 15th, 2009 04:25 PM

Thanks all for the help... I created the MediaCore folder put the importer into it and opened PP (I also put the DLL into sysWOW64). The result is a crash of PP when I try to launch it (I don't even have the opportunity to see PP windows)!! If I remove or rename the CFHD_AVI_Importer.prm file from MediaCore then PP CS4 launch perfectly. Any ideas on what going on?

Guillaume

Jay Bloomfield March 15th, 2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guillaume Roques (Post 1028075)
@David

Guillaume

I'd be surprised if the folder wasn't there also. But, you can create it. The problem is that the correct Windows registry entries must also be present. For Premiere CS4 under Vista x64, it would be:

Code:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Adobe\Premiere Pro\CurrentVersion]
"Plug-InsDir"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Adobe\\Common\\Plug-ins\\CS4\\MediaCore"

But if you're not familiar with editing the Windows registry, I wouldn't mess around with it, since you can do major damage to the whole OS by editing incorrectly. However, if that registry entry already exists, then you can just create the folder.

Just as an aside, if a media core plugin is designed to work with all Adobe suite programs, then it should go in the "Common" folder (ala the CFHD importer). If it is only designed to work with one or more individual programs in the suite, then it should be installed in the appropriate plugin folder for that program (e.g. Premiere).

Guillaume Roques March 15th, 2009 04:35 PM

lol. I copy back the prm file (in fact I renamed it back to prm) into the MediaCore and I launched Premiere. The good news is that it works!!!!!!! don't ask me why, how etc. I have no idea on what's going on here but it works. In summary I did:

1) created the MediaCore folder
2) copied the DLL into systWOW64
3) copied CFHD_AVI_Importer.prm into the fresh new MediaCore folder
4) started PP =>>>>> CRASH of Premiere
5) renamed CFHD_AVI_Importer.prm into CFHD_AVI_Importer.prm.old
6) launched PP >>> success
7) exit PP
8) go back to MediaCore and renamed the file back to CFHD_AVI_Importer.prm
9) launch PP =>>>>>> Success!
10) imported an CFHD AVI file (I had to reinstall Neo Scene 1.1.2 since my free trial was expired)
11) it works!!!

Thanks all for the support. I don't really understand how I finally end-up with something working but now I can really test CFHD intermediate format with some of my Canon 5D Mk II footages. Great news!!

Guillaume

Jay Bloomfield March 15th, 2009 05:31 PM

The other challenge that Adobe makes to 3rd party software plugin vendors is that the Adobe Windows registry contains 22 (!) entries for each importer plugin, depending on what the plugin is capable of doing (can the importer also save, resize, etc.). Every time you delete and then add back the same plugin to the "Common" folder, those registry entries are recreated in the registry also. Maybe you just got lucky. Or maybe you were having a bit of bad luck initially.

Gary Greenwald March 15th, 2009 09:31 PM

i dont know if this is a temporary thing or just 'the way it is', but if i put a cineform file in premier cs4 track1, it plays fine with the importer, with the yellow line to indicate its ok.
but if i put a second cineform on track2, with no effects or transitions or anything, just a default track2, i get the ominous red line, and the second the CTI hits the track2 cineform file over the track1 one, it goes back to sluggishness (and again this is with track opacity at 100% and zero effects/transitions)
is this a problem that will go away with future work on the importer, or will doing a track2 always prohibit the almost realtime-playing (yellow line)
thanks,
gg,

Rob Read March 16th, 2009 06:34 AM

I too do not have the C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS4\MediaCore directory in my Vista 64 HP SP1 setup. Each program has its own directory (as per Steve Montoto's list) with a sub Plug-ins folder. I have Adobe Master Collection CS4 - don't know if that makes difference to the way the folders are set-up during installation.

William Urschel March 16th, 2009 07:02 AM

Is CS4 That Useful to You?

I must admit that I impulsively responded to Adobe's Marketing Blitz, and purchased CS4 Production Premium early on, expecting (hoping) that the forewarned problems in coming up with a Cineform solution would be shortly forthcoming. I installed CS4, and then uninstalled it, and am again using CS3,with Prospect 4k. I find Cineform absolutely indispensable for archiving and for downrezzing (albeit still a mess) to 720x480. For the time being, CS4 will just sit on a shelf! Do those of you with installed CS4 and the issues in this thread really see a substantive benefit to jumping through these hoops to use CS4?

Brant Gajda March 16th, 2009 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Read (Post 1028409)
I too do not have the C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS4\MediaCore directory in my Vista 64 HP SP1 setup. Each program has its own directory (as per Steve Montoto's list) with a sub Plug-ins folder. I have Adobe Master Collection CS4 - don't know if that makes difference to the way the folders are set-up during installation.

Yup. Mine was the same way. I just had the Creative Suite though.

Is it possible that the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS4\MediaCore" folder is a left over from CS3?

Those that have this folder, did you originally have CS3 and upgrade to CS4?
Or was CS4 the only thing you installed?

Marty Hudzik March 16th, 2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Urschel (Post 1028419)
For the time being, CS4 will just sit on a shelf! Do those of you with installed CS4 and the issues in this thread really see a substantive benefit to jumping through these hoops to use CS4?

The new media encoder was a big selling point for me. I looked forward to being able to render to multiple formats, using multiple projects via the queue. However, my real world tests, not even using Cineform, show that it is so much slower than CS3 that it negates any benefits that I was hoping for. I cannot fathom how this program is so slow in comparison to CS3. I have a friend who swears by Vegas and I have to admit, it consistently get's better, version after version and only appears to get faster too! Premiere
seems to add features (few at athat) get slower or at best stay the same. I would have been happy if it stayed the same. But at this point it is a waste for me.

Edwin Baldwin March 16th, 2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brant Gajda (Post 1028476)
Yup. Those that have this folder, did you originally have CS3 and upgrade to CS4?
Or was CS4 the only thing you installed?

I did a clean install of Production Suite CS4 on Vista 64 and "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS4\MediaCore" was there.