Exporting ALPHA channels from Prospect 4K at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 17th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Exporting ALPHA channels from Prospect 4K

We are doing international, multi-language CFHD projects (in two languages with original audio, and also dubbed and sub-titled into many others).

We need to output the title/text/lowerthirds layers as separate ALPHA channels, for various reasons.

Question: Is there any other way to output video with alpha channels from Premiere CS3, other than huge uncompressed AVI's?

We have tried both 4:4:4 encoded CFHD AVI's, and MOVs, but nothing seems to output the video with the alpha channel intact.

We keep it synced with the music/AFX, so all we need is the alpha text/titles on the original video with the dubbed languages.

Suggestions?
Old March 17th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We have 4:4:4:4 mode in Prospect 4K that support alpha channels, although I never generated alpha from Premiere -- it might work. In the compiler settings try turning on the alpha channel.
Old March 17th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
We have 4:4:4:4 mode in Prospect 4K that support alpha channels, although I never generated alpha from Premiere -- it might work. In the compiler settings try turning on the alpha channel.
Thanks for coming back to me, David. That's the whole problem though. For the life of me, I can't find any 4:4:4:4 setting for this last CS3 Prospect 4K version! I know you've mentioned it before and it's in the feature set, but no matter where I look, there is no seeming way to enable it.

What am I missing?

Addendum: The alpha channel is enabled by Premiere and it recognizes it and plays it on the timeline (though requiring a render to properly preview), but there are no apparent settings for outputting alpha material in the Cineform codec settings that I can find.

Last edited by Stephen Armour; March 17th, 2009 at 10:52 AM.
Stephen Armour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Any update info on this?

David, do you have any further info on this... ?

We very much would love to have/use that feature, as this is quite a large project. It would save us a good bit of time.
Old March 17th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #5
Major Player

Matrox also support alphas in their compressed AVIs, but their Premiere exporter does not. The only way to make them in Premiere is to choose the Matrox codec in a Video for Windows export. You could try to do the same thing with the Cineform codec. Instead of Cineform in the export options, choose Microsoft AVI, and then choose Cineform in the next Compression tab. Just an idea.
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Again I ask, how do you "turn on the alpha channel" in Premiere CS3? Anyone?
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Only works with VfW codec at the moment (I think.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase