AMD Opteron, PPro 2.0 and NEO Scene at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 1st, 2009, 10:16 PM   #1
Major Player

AMD Opteron, PPro 2.0 and NEO Scene

I've test transferred some initial HDV source clips..Simple cuts, transitions and multiple PiP effects played back at surprising speeds...Of course, both RAM and CPU were utilized very heavily. I can assume that NEO Scene would definately help the CPU cycles..

2 Questions:

Cineform's site refers to Intel Optimization...But is that to say that my 2 dual core Opterons won't receive the same speed advantages awarded to the Intel architecture? Would the differences be noticeable? Or is my simple workflow not an issue?

Aside from some wonderful features that CS3 and CS4 offer, are there any disadvantages to sticking with my current software as far as Cineform is concerned? I'm very happy with CS2, and it's been rock solid until now (believe it or not)..

Thnx.
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:35 AM   #2
Major Player

Peter,

1. You're right, we specifically call out Intel, not AMD. That's because we have lots of Intel machines (courtesy of Intel and various OEM suppliers) so that's where our development and testing occurs. But we use cross-CPU instructions so they also work fine on Opterons. In fact we used to do a lot of work on AMD processors. You're fine....

2. We don't have an importer with Neo Scene for CS2 but the CineForm files should work through the Video for Windows plumbing. The performance will not be stellar, but give it a try and see how it is. We don't have any CS2 machines around any longer so we can't do that testing.
David Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase