DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Neo Scene questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/199980-neo-scene-questions.html)

Joey Atilano April 15th, 2009 08:18 AM

Neo Scene questions

Im thinking of getting this since I have an AVCHD cam now but I have a couple of questions.

#1 About what is the performance increase in vegas previews for 1920x1080 video(not preview 1920x1080) ? Do you get around 30fps? I have 2.3ghz Quadcore with 8gigs of ram.

#2 If I buy Neo Scene will it allow me to render to Cineform out of After Effects CS3 And Vegas 8?

#3 Will it render to 1080 60P files from the new Sanyo cams?

I use the free cineform in vegas alot and I was thinking of purchasing the Neo scene for more options I just wanted to make sure it would do what I wanted.

Charles W. Hull April 15th, 2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Atilano (Post 1095648)
Im thinking of getting this since I have an AVCHD cam now but I have a couple of questions.

#1 About what is the performance increase in vegas previews for 1920x1080 video(not preview 1920x1080) ? Do you get around 30fps? I have 2.3ghz Quadcore with 8gigs of ram.

#2 If I buy Neo Scene will it allow me to render to Cineform out of After Effects CS3 And Vegas 8?

#3 Will it render to 1080 60P files from the new Sanyo cams?

I use the free cineform in vegas alot and I was thinking of purchasing the Neo scene for more options I just wanted to make sure it would do what I wanted.

It should do all of this. You can download the trial version and verify it before you buy.

Ike Tamigian April 15th, 2009 05:36 PM

Sorry, ignore, made a mistake

Joey Atilano April 16th, 2009 08:47 AM

Thanks Charles, I didn't see you could d-load the trial or email for question on their site.

Ron Chau April 16th, 2009 11:06 AM

Downloaded the trial version of Cineform Neo Scene to convert Sanyo 1920x1080 60p files for use in Vegas.

Cineform conversion is quick, can be batched and avi files work well in Vegas. Now I know why Cineform is so popular.

Joey Atilano April 16th, 2009 05:20 PM

Sweet , that's what I wanted it for. I sent my info for the trial about a half hour ago but still no email for download.

Chris Barcellos April 16th, 2009 05:22 PM

Joey: Check your spam folder...

Joey Atilano April 16th, 2009 09:57 PM

It was just late I guess. After installing it all I can say is where has Cineform been the last 4 years. I always thought it was a $400 upgrade and never really looked into it.

I transcoded a 1080 60P file from my old Sanyo and I was getting 29fps previews 99% of the time in Vegas.

This is going to open up alot more shooting and editing for me. I always hated the editing and didn't shoot as much, now it will be a joyous happy time.

Sorin Pricop April 17th, 2009 06:29 AM

Ok, so after i have looked into loads of posts and after i have looked into my pocket i'm now even more confused about all this codec/m2t/hdv/video compression stuff.

I have to start by saying that i'm not a professional - i'm not even amateur, i'm ocassional user of various forms of editing and encoding.
From time to time i go to a wedding, or any other event for my friends - as i wass in UK for a few month (working) and i have bought from somebody an FX1 very cheap.

At first i didn't know what to do with it - i wanted to sell it - but i had some second thoughts cause i liked it.

Now i used to capture with HDVsplit and import into CS3 (bought in UK, as student - cause i was learning too) and export it as wmv cause everyone can watch it no matter what computer has.
The problems i was running into were the usual - bad quality - even though i was using high bitrates.

I have downloaded the trial version of Neo Scene and the trial Version of Prospect 4k and then i saw that there is a huge (HUGE) quality difference.

Now here is what i do usually:

1. Capture with HDLink (deinterlace, cineform avi)
2. Import in CS3 - edit/color correction/music and so on ...
3. Export to Tape
4. Capture with HDLink
5. Compress to wmv with WME
-----------------------------------

Is enough for this to buy the NEO Scene or do i have to buy the Prospect 4k.
Will the quality differ ?

Is there any other way - to achieve better quality ? (Another workflow?)

I understand that there are big studios and movie companies that can pay $1400 in a split of a second - but for me that money is just too much (i don't earn money from what i'm doing).

Please do not be upset of me - but i do have to ask - as i want like to buy the software cause i know that there is a lot of work involved - and i respect that ...

Thank you in advance for your responses

Respect,
Sorin

David Taylor April 17th, 2009 08:15 AM

Sorin, there is no difference between Neo Scene and Prospect 4K regarding the quality of CineForm files created. There are feature and workflow differences, but the quality of the files after conversion should be the same.

HD Link (within Prospect 4K) has additional quality levels for the CineForm encode, but when your source comes from AVCHD or HDV those extra quality levels are not really material. It sounds like you have another problem going on.

Sorin Pricop April 17th, 2009 08:51 AM

Thank you for your response!

I was confusing sorry for that ...

I meant there was a HUGE difference between the files i was creating in my previous workflow: HDVSplit > CS3 > Export to Adobe Encoder > as WMV || and the ones i was creating using HDLink > CS3 > Export to TAPE > Import HDLink > Compress with WME.

It seems that capturing m2t is like the files allready are compressed somehow.

As i was saying i'm just casual user of editing and compression softwares, but as everyone i like quality.

Looks like for that you have to pay ;)

Anyway - Thank you for your response - it looks like Neo Scene will be enough for me - from what you are saying ... i like the color correction also - but i think it's only shipped with Prospect.

You are doing a great job there at CineForm - keep it up. Maybe in time i will be able to buy Prospect, if i will won the lottery or something :) Otherwise my wife will kill me :)
Respect,
Sorin

David Taylor April 17th, 2009 10:47 AM

Sorin, we generally make it easy to upgrade when you are ready. Our past policy is that you can upgrade to a new product by paying the difference between the MSRPs of the "old" product and the "new" product.

Sorin Pricop April 22nd, 2009 11:56 PM

Thank's for the info ...

So, i talked about this with a friend that does weddings too - and there are few things that i'd like to ask.
Sorry for being such a pain ...

What i'd like to do is capture with HDlink and apply some color correction (cineform) in PPro cause that is just perfect (as opposed to Adobe's color correction).

As i was testing - there is no color correction in NeoScene - so i was wondering which of the software contain the color correction tool. (I mean other than Prospect 4K)

I know - there is Prospect HD ($749) and Neo HD ($499) but i don't know if the price jump will really matter in terms of quality ...

Khanh Nguyen April 23rd, 2009 02:31 PM

Hi

I started out with Neo Scene and later on moved to proxy stream. I prefer the proxy stream process better since it doesn't need the huge avi files. Proxy stream works very well with Vegas 8c and is free.

Eugenia’s Rants and Thoughts Blog Archive Proxy Editing with Sony Vegas, Part II

The issue I have with cineform is that the moment you put in any filters, you lose all the fast preview benefit.

One more thing you may want to consider: I sent a friend one of my cineform avi files (codec version 4.7) and the cineform player so that he can edit the clip. The cineform player works fine as a decoder but will disable the "original" cineform 2.8 that came with Vegas 8. To get the vineform 2.8 encoder back, he had to delete the dll file from windows system32 folder (which disable the decoder).

So be careful when you send people your cineform avi file and the cineform player. They'll be calling you for computer support :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Chau (Post 1100296)
Downloaded the trial version of Cineform Neo Scene to convert Sanyo 1920x1080 60p files for use in Vegas.

Cineform conversion is quick, can be batched and avi files work well in Vegas. Now I know why Cineform is so popular.

Sorin Pricop April 28th, 2009 01:26 AM

So ... knowing that i use Adobe PPro CS3 - maybe i will be moving to CS4 (due the not so expensive upgrade possibility) - Should i buy Prospect HD or Neo Scene.

I just want to capture with HDLink (captures avi's and deinterlaces during capture) also i saw a big difference between the files captured with HDVsplit and HDLink (quality wise), and i want to apply the cineform color correction (a very good color correction tool in my opinion - far much better than adobe's color correction).

In your opinion (the one's that use the cinefoprm products) should i buy just Neo Scene ($129) or should i buy the Prospect HD ($749).

I have allready tryed the Prospect 4K - but now the trial has expired - and i can't try the prospect hd - so i'm kinda lost now.

Please help me if you can.
Thank you in advance.